• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

European screw-on wishbones - 16mm v. 18mm v. 20mm - Omer v. Picasso v. ....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
As martin says...
Also you can use wet & dry sand paper to smooth out the spear notch although I personally prefer a shark fin type spear with dyneema!

Alternatively could I just swap the existing steel wishbone for a length of Dyneema rope? I have removed the existing wishbone and photographed it, marking with blue lines where I intend to cut the steel for removal. Then I will thread dyneema through the threaded plastic caps and washers and tie off. Tada
simples

By way of a little update, all finished (see pics below). It was a thirty minute job, just used a hacksaw to cut up the original wishbone, threaded dyneema, needle file'd the notch and then used 240 grit grinding paste with a piece of string to smooth out the notch. Will maybe invest in a new shark-fin type spear when money allows if the system fails. While I was at it I also put a little aluminium angle bracket on the top of the gun to mount a gopro. super simple, hopefully effective. I just used epoxy, and will tie the camera to the gun just in case. I was not willing to drill a fitting into the gun due to introducing stress concentrators and risking damaging trigger mechanism or other internal components. I think it should work just fine anyway...

Attachments

• IMAG0607.jpg
    IMAG0607.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG0610.jpg
    IMAG0610.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0612.jpg
    IMAG0612.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0613.jpg
    IMAG0613.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0617.jpg
    IMAG0617.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 147
Articulated wishbones aren't cheap. If it was down to me I would buy a cheap wishbone ( £3.99) cut the wire and replace with Dyneema.

PIC_0375.jpg

Last edited:
Well, yeah that did cross my mind. But I had to remind myself that I don't want an articulated wishbone so really, after making the decision to change it, it had no value. And if we're going to get into the "what a waste of a wishbone!" argument, I have to retort that what a waste it would be to have a vehicle burn several litres of fuel to deliver me an alternative by mail order (to subsequently destroy)... The wishbone presented cost me only the small length of 4" of surplus dyneema from my shooting line.

roflroflroflroflrofl Theres no "what a waste of a wishbone" argument Drew. You want to hack yours up you carry on!!!! No need to be so bloody defensive. I just simply offered an alternative.

sheesh

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
I genuinely don't know why I went on such a rant there, the comments weren't all directed at you though as this is a public forum. I was just justifying why I chose to do it the way I did - I don't feel as though I wasted a wishbone, its replacement cost doesn't concern me because I don't plan on replacing it. Should have just said that in the first place really. Must also learn not to take the internet too seriously. I apologise for being grumpy, not been in the sea for weeks

I just cant believe you cut up that good piece of stainless!!! :mute

Finally replaced the Omer screw-in 18mm bands (which have given very good service) on my Omer XXV 75cm with a single 20mm* bulk-rubber band (*measure only 18.43mm, 30 minutes out of the freezer). Fits the little XXV muzzle perfectly :) I cut the rubber to a generous 60cm length.

By switching to bulk-rubber, I was able to remove: the metal holding pin, metal "muzzle wishbone" & its plastic fittings too. Making the sleek & super-lightweight 75cm Omer XXV even lighter & sleeker :)

I've switched to using a cheap & simple Rob Allen Dyneema wishbone (the cord is slimmer & tighter woven than spearitco.com's - which is quite important as the XXV's spear is only 6.3mm diameter, and the nylon toggles are lighter than spearitco's metal beads). The old screw-on dyneema wishbone (which I cobbled together from the original Omer articulated wishbone caps & the cord from a Picasso screw-on dyneema wishbone) has now been transferred to my 90cm XXV, replacing its original articulated wishbone.

I used 1.5mm Omer black nylon braid for the constrictor knots, rather than finer Kevlar constrictor cord supplied by Spearitco.com (hard to cut/melt, overkill), finer whipping twine, or thicker 2mm Omer nylon braid. It seemed to dig in enough without cutting into the rubber too aggressively, and I was able to melt & smear the back-up surgeons thumb knots. 2mm nylon braid might work even better (TBC).

Hope I get a chance to try it out soon :)

Last edited:
...I used 1.5mm Omer black nylon braid for the constrictor knots, rather than finer Kevlar constrictor cord supplied by Spearitco.com (hard to cut/melt, overkill), finer whipping twine, or thicker 2mm Omer nylon braid. It seemed to dig in enough without cutting into the rubber too aggressively, and I was able to melt & smear the back-up surgeons thumb knots. 2mm nylon braid might work even better (TBC)...
One of the stopper beads pulled out of the rubber when I first loaded it -oops:oops:. Fortunately I had the kit nearby to repair it. I guess that's why Spearitco.com use Kevlar (it doesn't stretch). I'm still using nylon braid but have tightened it up more - as nylon does stretch. Will probably try the (thinner) kevlar cord next time though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT