• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

European spearing : camoflage

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi
Getting a new suit (elios 3mm open-cell inner / nylon outer).

I was going to get a black one but then they mentioned that they could make me an olive green (single colour) suit when I said I would use it for spearing as well as freediving.

Then I thought about camo !

Can anyone answer this :

Is there any difference between black, olive, camo ?

What I mean is do you notice a better ability to get close to fish like bass or is it just for looking like a reader of "Gun and Ammo Weekly" on the beach (where can I get a red bandana and bowie knife for posing onshore ?! :))

If it makes a huge difference then fine - if not then I will get black or olive !

Cheers
Ed - "stylin'" - wood

Ed
I don't think it makes a "huge" difference but I definately believe that when the fish are in wary mode the camo makes it easier to confuse them.
I have often found that fish will sense you dropping and come to investigate you, wearing camo they kind of lose track of you and are very surprised when you offer the spear to them!

I am not so sure that the camo does make a difference, the best camo i still feel is to be very still and as silent as you can. But if you think a camo suit might give you an edge then go for it, I certaintly do think it will do you any harm.

Cheers guys and girls
Will go for an olive or black suit then and leave camo for another day when I am feeling more Rambo-esque/

Ed

Ed, I'm also not fond of the idea of looking like some 'soldier of fortune' subscriber (no offense you's out there:)). But if you're going for Elios then they have some camo designs that don't resemble army camo too much.

Quite a few people told me that camo works. Some might be just self-convincing themselves, but some seemed to me pretty reliable.

You can try asking for more black and less paint, I think they can do any kind of paint job.

Post pictures if you opt for camo. :)

Benthos and Pelagos:
foto_4_news.jpg

a_FOTO_1_news.jpg

yeah that camo is awesome...especially with that big bright yellow Elios logo in the middle. :duh

Seriously though the only difference Ive noticed with my Omer bluewater camo is that the sharks come in ALOT closer to check me out compared to my buddies with other suits. Not sure if thats a good thing :cool: I do like the suit alot though so its here to stay.

I have a camo pattern Elios. As you can see, it helped me get some fish :hmm . Make sure you ask them to put the loading pad on. Honestly, I don't think it makes a lot of difference in getting fish but it looks cool. Otherwise, go for "old school" all-black.
Rig,
I had Elios put that huge logo on the back of my suit. That way my buddies can see where I am laying on the bottom when we dive. Before they used to complain that they would loose me in the deeper water. Just an idea

Attachments

• cuber.JPG
    cuber.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 152
  • blacks.JPG
    blacks.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 139
  • sanps.JPG
    sanps.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Mr. X
I don't think that the big yellow logo makes any difference. Fish aren't as literate as humans:) Frogman thats a really good idea about the logo on the back.
Thats one of the only things that I disliked about my Omer mimetic reef, the fact that the logo was kind of stamped into the suit.

rigdvr said:
yeah that camo is awesome...especially with that big bright yellow Elios logo in the middle. :duh
Rig, the logo is there probably because those are Elios models. The suits I've seen came with much smaller logos, and you can ask Elios to put it wherever on the suit.

Got my last Elios 5mm made with a red logo - black kanoko - - looks good and the fish prefer the red (so they tell me...)

Anyway, fish are colour-blind to red, just like bulls...

A kanoko suit Ed? was that any more expensive than a normal nylon suit?
Must be kind of hardwearing though right?

Camoflage has very little to do with color. it is used more effectively as a disruptive pattern that breaks up your outline. yes I have a Camo wetsuit. but then again I hunt deer and Moose in a red lumberjack fleece and I seem to do ok too :)

Very nice suit angelos, especially when complemented with some nice fish :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT