• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Excessive Urination while Performing Dry Land Apnea Training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cliff Etzel

PFI Freedive Instructor in training, Photographer
Jul 7, 2000
It's been a long time since I frequented the forums last, but I'm back to freedive training again after an extended break.

Having said that - I have a question for the more experienced members here regarding a physiological process while performing dry land apnea training - both dry land static apnea and dry land training exercises described in Umberto's book "Manual of Freediving".

I've noticed that my urge to urinate while dry land training increases during my training even though I have excreted immediately before I start my training session. I'm well aware of the physiological process when in the water due to the vagus nerve response from increased water pressure causing the body to eliminate fluids, but is it the same process on dry land as well?

Anyone?

I know lots of swimmers, including me, have to pee during more vigorous workouts. I think it has something to do with not sweating in cool water but still producing metabolic products that must be ejected somehow. I don't have this problem when doing dry statics though.

I was wondering about whether I was over hydrating lately. It was advised I drink more fluids by my health coach. A lot more than I'm use to consuming daily so I'll cut back to what I normally consume daily and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was wondering about whether I was over hydrating lately. It was advised I drink more fluids by my health coach. A lot more than I'm use to consuming daily so I'll cut back to what I normally consume daily and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

I would listen to your health coach. During apnea your kidneys THINK you are over hydrated because blood is collecting in your core, caused by dive response, but this is only temporary. There are other factors at work over the course of a day of diving (ie accelerated glycogen burn also releases water stored in the muscles) but as a rule you don't want to drink less water than normal during apnea training or diving.

I would listen to your health coach. During apnea your kidneys THINK you are over hydrated because blood is collecting in your core, caused by dive response, but this is only temporary. There are other factors at work over the course of a day of diving (ie accelerated glycogen burn also releases water stored in the muscles) but as a rule you don't want to drink less water than normal during apnea training or diving.

Was told I should be consuming half my body weight in fluid ounces of water but I am constantly having to urinate even when not training.. like every 15 minutes it seems like. Will experiment to see where equilibrium is for me

If you are hyperventilating you will be making your blood acidic. The body will respond by excreting bicarbonate. This will cause you urinate. Look up respiratory alkalosis.

If you are hyperventilating you will be making your blood acidic. The body will respond by excreting bicarbonate. This will cause you urinate. Look up respiratory alkalosis.
This is exactly wrong. If you are hyperventilating you are making your blood less acidic because you have decreased CO2 in the blood.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You are right. It makes the blood basic. The body's response is the same however, to remove and excret bicarbonate

I know that frequent urination can be a symptom of many different problems from kidney disease to simply drinking too much fluid. A urinary tract infection and diabte also can couse frequent urination accompanied by fever pain or discomfort in the abdomen. The most common cause of frequent urination for men is enlarged prostate can press against the urethra and block the flow of urine.

Reactions: Johny Depth
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT