• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Exhale Static SaO2 data

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
I did some exhale statics with Walrus the other day and got the following data from an exhale static (with reverse packing).

There are two heart rate spikes in the prep breathe up that correspond with the two pack stretches I did. The strange thing is the drop in SaO2 that lines up with them.

....anyone got ideas about what is going on here ?( I was using an earlobe sensor on a ohmeda 3700 pulse oximeter)

Attachments

• exhale 84.jpg
    exhale 84.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Maybe the pack stretches cause a decrease in blood flow to the extremities, which causes the SaO2 measured at the earlobe to fall.

just an idea

Lucia

i think the packing must reduce the flow of blood to your head by putting pressure on an artery (aorta i think?). presumably this would reduce the SaO2 in your head. amazing how high your HR goes during packing.

My HR also goes very high during packing, but I have got more used to it now, so the effect is less.

Yeah my heart rate really does soar but Wal's HR broke 200BPM doing the same thing but he didn't have the drop in SaO2 that I did....and he packs 3L compared with my 1.5L.

Andy

Maybe the increased heart rate is an attempt to compensate for the reduced blood flow caused by pressure on the heart. This could be why it stops the drop in SaO2.

200BPM is a lot! I haven't measured my HR during packing, but it probably isn't that high, because my max heart rate is about 184.

Lucia

The drop in HR after the exhale is really quick but interestingly does not seem to last very long

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT