• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Expand-a-lung

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fabio Toyama

Jan 2, 2004
Regarding the equipment expand a lung..
Can anyone confirm if this equipment really improve your apnea?
I read somewhere that in some cases it even decreased the time due to a possible decrease in the elasticity of the diaphragm muscle. It would get stronger but in some cases less elastic.
Any other gadgets to recommend for training?
Any good heart rate monitors?
Or any other thing to monitor your progress?
Thank you.

Fabio,

Try the search function (top of the page). There has been a good bit of comment on all those fine toys, polar especially

Heh heh... Walrus is talking about a spam post that was removed, not cdavis's comment.

Though now you mention it I am a fan of the Polar, just wish it recorded a higher sample rate dammit :D

Did a search but unfortunately couldn't find anything about the Polar product. These gadgets are a complete surprise for me, never heard about them before. Not even sure if I understand how they work and what are they supposed to do.

They are heart rate monitors - you strap them around your chest and they feed to a wristwatch. You can download the results to a computer later. Very popular with cyclists and runners. They're also water resistant to around 30m, depending on which model you go for. My model is water resistant to 50m, but the chest-piece is only resistant to 30m :duh

I was actually asking about the Expand-A-Lung product. Thought that Polar was something similar. But you were talking about the Polar wristwatches/heart rate monitors, I know well about these.

http://www.expand-a-lung.com/

That's the thingie I was asking about. Does it really work?

Hello Everybody,

Actually, I'm using the breath trainer EOLOS, and well, the true is that it works. I like it, has a good price, good size, the case is great...

If you want more info about it: Eolos

Thank you!.

Alex

I tried one - didn't do anything for me. You might as well breathe through any kind of crushed tube as far as I can see - anything with a bit of resistance does the same job.

I have had some benifits (don't use it anymore for 2...3 years); mainly deeper inhalations in recovery breathing without thought, but I believe there are some hazards for the exhaletion part, search Deeperblue forum on 'power lung' there is a lot to read 4 u :)

Ciao Pim

You might find this interesting (or very..very boring) its a bit dated but I’ve seen quite a few medical studies that seem to support the use of the toy.
Journal of Applied Physiology -- Sign In Page
Also lots of info on this googled [ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=specific+inspiratory+muscle+training]specific inspiratory muscle training - Google Search[/ame]+

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT