• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism G2

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
...I've been working with Ron's most accessible fin - The Pilot, lately. I'll be posting something about it as soon as I can.

I think we are all looking forward to your findings. I hope it proves able to live up to this...

Pilot_Ad_Idea_1.png

I read an article recently (google translated from Russian) that indicated it takes approximately 50 hours to make a hyperfin. Does anyone know if that is true for current hyperfin construction? That's an awful lot of man hours going into a $500 Glide if it really takes that long to make them (only $10/hour before taking the materials, tools and facilities into account). It's hard to imagine monofin craftsman working for about $5/hr, so it seems like there must be an inaccuracy. Anyone have current and credible data on this?

My first thought would be that curing time of resin or glue is included in these hours. So it'd still take 50 hrs to make one, but probably only a fraction of it is "actual work". Does this sound about right?

My first thought would be that curing time of resin or glue is included in these hours. So it'd still take 50 hrs to make one, but probably only a fraction of it is "actual work". Does this sound about right?
Good thought! That could explain it. Can anyone confirm?

I suspect that the custom-cut FG layered blades could take a long time.

The mass-produced blades are pre-done en masse and that would drastically reduce overall labour hrs I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was relating to the FG panels that are hand tapered by knife.

Understood, I just think there's a difference in the time spent on a standard waterway medium stiffness model 2 blade and a custom 1-off, super fine-tuned boutique piece.

I recall hearing that you could buy "blanks" as well as 1/2 finished / tapered blades that had some basic tapering done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the article I was reading: http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2001-10-18/16_1/

It from 2001, but my impression it that hyperfins are still hand made similar to how they had been made since the beginning. I'd not expect huge improvements in labor without some level of automation or mechanization being introduced to the process.

It's hard to imagine monofin craftsman working for about $5/hr, so it seems like there must be an inaccuracy.

$5/hr would give ~$880 per month. That's almost six times more than the average monthly salary in Ukraine where most of hyperfins are made.

Reactions: Apneaddict
$5/hr would give ~$880 per month. That's almost six times more than the average monthly salary in Ukraine where most of hyperfins are made.
6 x the average? That doesn't seem possible.

There is a reference to 20 - 25 working hours per hyper-monofin on the website of Maxim Jiliakov, a world level fin-speed-swimmer champion and son of coach Albert Jiliakov.

"5-6 hours for making a flat fin, 20-25 hours for hyper-fin"

There has been a lot of activity in the Orca production lately. These beauties went out together and I learned that 3 boxes represents my personal limit for being able to carry them into the Post Office at one time. Any more than 3 and I need to make multiple trips.

IMG_4937.JPG

PS - I've still got a couple gold anodized Orca frames available. If anyone wants the gold frame, this would be a good time to stake your claim. It could be a while before I have another opportunity to make these in gold.

Reactions: Marciano
As a DIY "hyperfin-deluxe" builder I can confirm that it takes many hours to make a fin approx 10 hours but I don't cut the blade myself instead I buy waterways glide blade. The calendar time is about 10days because of the rubber glueing process.

I'm really excited by the way because I am soon going to experience diving with a Dol fin Orca.

Hyperfins and all monofins stiffness have a speed sweetspot where the stiffness works correct. To find a match for a diver is not easy. Also much of the stiffness is determined by the footpocket an not the blade and that makes every fin an "individual" since it's handwork.
Also the angle of the footpocket has to be matched with the divers foot-flexibility. I for example need 35-38degrees because I am extremely stiff.

I belive and hope that the Orca is potentially eliminating these 2 problems. If you see my point of view. I will soon see.

Hyperfins and all monofins stiffness have a speed sweetspot where the stiffness works correct. To find a match for a diver is not easy. Also much of the stiffness is determined by the footpocket an not the blade and that makes every fin an "individual" since it's handwork.
Also the angle of the footpocket has to be matched with the divers foot-flexibility. I for example need 35-38degrees because I am extremely stiff.

I belive and hope that the Orca is potentially eliminating these 2 problems. If you see my point of view. I will soon see.
Do you have your fin now, or is it still in Customs?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT