• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism G2

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Interesting... along the same line of thought, maybe "Serpent", "Crocodile" or "Alligator" fin. The hydro-panels do evoke a bit that alligator's armor look.
Serpent or lizard sounds cooler in my opinion but crocodile or alligator may be more associated.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of taking the design to production and I'm wondering what others think of the concept. I'm planning to launch a thread in the bi-fins section, but I'm interested in what my monofin followers have to say about it.
I really like the idea behind these fins. I look forward to seeing more details.

As far as the name goes, SR-1 sounds good to me.

Ultimately, what I think I'd like to see is the ability to have one pair of shoes and easily switch between fins without using a tool. All the current quick release pedal systems require twisting to release which wouldn't work with the pilot. However, back in the late 80's Addidas brought out the 'System 3' pedal and shoe where the shoe slid in from the rear; that'd work for the Pilot and be ok for the SR-1 too.

Check out this awesome start technique with an Orca monofin.

It could work with any monofin, really. I haven't seen anyone do it this way before, but it looks really clean and relaxed.

Thanks @REVAN, that is so cool. I'm going to add that to my training.

I had a fantastic session with the Orca today, getting used to it increases it's performance offcourse. It is clearly the most effective fin I have tried. I had a session with 10*75m with 1'30" rest and comfort all the way. The last laps was 2*100m with 2'20" rest between, comfort to 80-85m. I have never felt that good even when I was competing and I know my tolerance to CO2 and O2 sucks compared to then. Amazing fin, recommended to everybody who wants to get more distance vs energy.

Last edited:
I really like the idea behind these fins. I look forward to seeing more details.

As far as the name goes, SR-1 sounds good to me....
That's one vote for SR-1, zero for Celeritas and one for a new category of animal i.e. - Lizard or Serpent. That's not a lot of feedback. Anyone else want to speak up on this?
...Ultimately, what I think I'd like to see is the ability to have one pair of shoes and easily switch between fins without using a tool. All the current quick release pedal systems require twisting to release which wouldn't work with the pilot. However, back in the late 80's Addidas brought out the 'System 3' pedal and shoe where the shoe slid in from the rear; that'd work for the Pilot and be ok for the SR-1 too.
That would be nice, but is it really worth the expense vs. just getting out a hex key and doing 4 bolts? If it can quick release, there is always the danger that it could quick release when you don't want it to release.

@derelictp - That's fantastic news on your training successes. Hearing your reports has made me excited to keep up developments. I was up in the shop until 11 pm the other night working on the design for the small frame Orca2 (sizes 35 to 40).

Reactions: derelictp
Here's a nice picture of the blade deflections with the new bi-fins. It's good, yes?

scuba_pic2.png

These may be bi-fins, but they really excel at the dolphin kick. ;)

That would be nice, but is it really worth the expense vs. just getting out a hex key and doing 4 bolts? If it can quick release, there is always the danger that it could quick release when you don't want it to release.
I would turn that around and ask the question, 'would the fins be worth the expense if I had to own and maintain two, or more, pairs of shoes?'. It is a 'nice to have' but it is a practical one, if you can change shoes without the risk of dropping the bolts then that's also a good thing along with the financial one. From the shoe bolts perspective, and may be a smaller additional cost, is it possible to utilise captive bolts to secure the shoes?

I had another inspiration for the name "Slipstream". Turns out that is also taken. OMS makes a copy of the Scubapro Jetfin. They call their version Slipstream. There are so many scuba fins out there, I can see that this will be a problem. All the good nondescript names are already taken.

http://omsdive.com/product/fins/

When you want to sell the same product as your industry competitor, how do you get an edge on sales? Add new heal straps and give it a name that will resonate with what your customers are lacking (i.e. - a forward speed fast enough to create a slipstream!!!). :banghead:

Last edited:
If I stick with the SR-1 name, ad pictures might look something like this:

Stereo_Reticulatus_2_crop.png

Will it be good enough to grab people's attention?

When you want to sell the same product as your industry competitor, how do you get an edge on sales? Add new heal straps and give it a name that will resonate with what your customers are lacking (i.e. - a forward speed fast enough to create a slipstream!!!). :banghead:

The strategy on getting an edge of sales reminds me of the ski-industri the years approx 1983-1995. Some smart dude did go so far as to say " same shit different color for 10 years".

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Will it be good enough to grab people's attention?

Looks very clean.

The name is spectacular but it may be hard to remember but the short SR-1 works.

Alternate names:
Duo-Pilot
Superfrog

It does share common technology with the Pilot, and I have considered using the Pilot name with some variation for the Bi-Fins. Actually, the Pilot Monofin was developed from frame technology that I developed for the bi-fin project. If I had never tried to make bi-fins, I'd probably still be making X-20s instead, so there's still a benefit to this project even if I never turn the bi-fins into a product. But they are working so well now, that it makes sense to go into production.

Do you like the looks of this better?
Pilot_SR1_1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: landshark sa
Yes, I belive the name Pilot-SR1 "sticks" better so to say....
And you also stick to a name that you already use, that is good I belive.

I like the Pilot-SR1 name more. The name will also give you more individuality when it comes to search engines as SR1 on it's own it may become swamped by other sites and similar product names.

Do you have any comparative tests as to performance vs standard long blade bi-fins?

Another question, do they produce any noise? With all the joined bits it seems as there is a potential some clicking noises.

Last edited:
OK, I think it's settled then. They will be called Pilot-SR1 fins. Thanks for the opinions and feedback everyone.

The fins are quiet. I have not heard them making any noise when swimming.

On performance, they seem to be doing quite well, but there is a lot more that needs to be done to get a clear picture. I have dove them in comparison with Dive-R fiberglass fins. I was with a diver named Dan Volker from S. Florida who regularly uses hard Dive-R long blades to scuba dive the strong current areas of West Palm Beach (all the good marine life hangs out in strong current areas). I went out with him and we did a scuba dive with the Pilot-SR1 and the Dive-R fins and then switched fins part way through the dive. We both concluded that there was a clear performance advantage to the SR-1. The Pilot-SR1s were at least as fast or faster and were clearly requiring less power. After switching to the Dive-R fins I got a charlie horse after just a couple minutes trying to keep up with Dan, and he was still carrying the big camera!

This was a scuba comparison, which is relevant to the product as one goal for it is to be a high performance fin option for scuba diving (scuba divers have not shown a willingness to use a monofin). This was a test opportunity made available from going to DEMA Show a few weeks ago. It will take more time to get out to do comparisons with other freedivers and other bi-fin products.

Last edited:
The Pilot-SR1s were at least as fast or faster and were clearly requiring less power.

Awesome! Less power means more O2 and more O2 in freediving / spearfishing is a good thing!

Well maybe not that awesome for me... I've been saving my pennies to buy a DOL-Fin Pilot but its seems I'm going to have to save a bit longer as I'll have to buy a set of Pilot-SR1s as well. :):):)

Best of luck with the further testing and development of them!

Reactions: REVAN and derelictp
From your personal experience Ron, where would the Pilot-SR1 be with respect to performance and compared to the Pilot and the Orca-2? And along that line what is the difference between alternating and dolphin kick?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT