• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Exumas trip - first time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

steve kelly

May 24, 2018
Heading down to Exumas at end of July. I've chartered my own boat (i'm the captain) that we'll sleep on for 6 days so i can head anywhere i want. It's just our family and three of us will be spearfishing for the first time, myself and two 16 year old boys.

Buying Mako pole spears along with all the other items needed.

Anyone have location suggestions that might be remote and shallow diving (0-20'). Would love to target snapper, grouper, hog, lobster, lion.... just small dinner size fish.

We're supper excited about trip and i will post report upon our return.

Thanks,
SKelly

Getting dinner in 20 ft of water in the Bahamas is not nearly as easy as it used to be. Drifting the passes will be a good stratigy. Look for ledges that will hold lionfish, small but delicious. The north end of the Exumas, north of Ship Channel Cay around Sail Rock, remote and shallow, has a whole bunch of coral heads in that depth. The channel NW of Highbourne used to be quite good, but sharky. Lots of other places. Get a copy of Palvides's "Exuma Guide" Best source I know for the spearfishing cruiser.

Have a great time. The Exumas are special.

Getting dinner in 20 ft of water in the Bahamas is not nearly as easy as it used to be. Drifting the passes will be a good stratigy. Look for ledges that will hold lionfish, small but delicious. The north end of the Exumas, north of Ship Channel Cay around Sail Rock, remote and shallow, has a whole bunch of coral heads in that depth. The channel NW of Highbourne used to be quite good, but sharky. Lots of other places. Get a copy of Palvides's "Exuma Guide" Best source I know for the spearfishing cruiser.

Have a great time. The Exumas are special.

CD

Really appreciate the recommendations and information. I'm figuring being end of July that i need to hunt edges close the drops. I'll definitely hit Sail Rock but plan on heading south quite away to get away from others and hoping fish aren't too spooky for us newbies, maybe towards Staniel, Seal and Ragged. Ordering Palvide's Guide right now.

I'm new to spearing but been fishing/hunting/diving all my life and done a few of these boat trips in the Caribbean. Really excited about Exumas and hoping the weather holds.

Thanks again for information and i'll definitely post upon our return.

SKelly

If you are a hunter, spearfishing will come easy.

Not sure where Seal and Ragged are. Do you mean the Ragged Islands, south of Exuma? A fabulous cruising ground, lots of heads in the depth you are interested in, but VERY isolated. Be sure you are ready for that. Palvides has a good guide for the area, not sure what the exact title is, something like "Central and Southern Bahamas" Staniel is pretty populated, fun for Thunderball Cave and the pigs at Big Majors, not a lot of fish unless you want to go deep, 60 plus.

I assume you are renting a boat out of Eleuthra, Sail Rock area is the most empty area you will find near there. Much more populated farther south in the Exumas.

If you are a hunter, spearfishing will come easy.

Not sure where Seal and Ragged are. Do you mean the Ragged Islands, south of Exuma? A fabulous cruising ground, lots of heads in the depth you are interested in, but VERY isolated. Be sure you are ready for that. Palvides has a good guide for the area, not sure what the exact title is, something like "Central and Southern Bahamas" Staniel is pretty populated, fun for Thunderball Cave and the pigs at Big Majors, not a lot of fish unless you want to go deep, 60 plus.

I assume you are renting a boat out of Eleuthra, Sail Rock area is the most empty area you will find near there. Much more populated farther south in the Exumas.

I do mean the Ragged Islands but i believe they are going to be a little too far for this trip as i'm leaving from Nassau. I love the isolation areas as our goal is always get away from others and be self sufficient on our own boat. Thanks for your input and my plan is to travel as far South as feasible during our 6 days.

SKelly

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT