• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Favorite freediving sites & charters around the Destin/PCB area?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JDanielATL

Dec 2, 2017
Hi guys,

I have used the search function and read through several Florida-related threads, but those are fairly old, and I'd like to get some updated info! I'd like to get your input on favorite freediving locations off the coast of Destin and PCB since it's a very doable driving distance from Atlanta for a weekend. I am aware of diving the springs down there, but for this conversation, I'd like to stick with the gulf.

I have heard that depth is fairly limited just off shore, but do you have and recommendations for good diving sites (shipwreck/reef) in the 70-100 foot range? I'd be interested in improving my bottom time in that depth range if that was the deepest we could go.
And on that note, do you have any boat charters that you could recommend that wouldn't completely break the bank for a day or two of diving? I reached out to Diver's Den in PCB yesterday to inquire about prices, but haven't heard back yet. I am hoping that they would let myself and a buddy tag along on a scuba boat or something of that nature.

Any additional thoughts on diving in this general area is much appreciated!

Any word back from the boat charters? They seem like they would be a good resource overall.

Unfortunately no, I never heard back from Diver's Den. I suppose I can explore other options, and talk to them in person the next time I'm in the area.

That's unfortunate. How did you guys fare during the last hurricane season?

Hah, well i live in Atlanta so I fared just fine :)

Although, we did get blasted with the tail end of whatever major hurricane came up the East Coast, can't remember which one. That's the only time I can remember a hurricane having a noticeable impact on inland GA.

Ah, good to know. It seemed like the entire Gulf and eastern seaboard has been having issues with those in recent years.

There is a lot of good ledgy bottom in the depth range you are talking about also some good wreaks. A good charter captain will have a long list of sites. Finding one that is willing to take freedivers is another matter. All you can do is call everybody you can find on the internet and find out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT