• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lgdeep

May 2, 2002
My friend is afraid to freedive. She thinks it is scary I talked about overcoming fear but still no. When it comes to other things she has nerve and I dont. What can i offer to comfort her?

The psychological aspect of freediving goes against the very innate desire to breath on a regular basis. It is something that comes from within each person.

To freedive is to want to freedive. It is a mindset that says, I will train myself to not breathe for a period of time, and I will understand my own physiological processes and understand when it is time to ascend so that I can breathe.

It is a very dificult concept for most people to understand. One has to experience it themselves.

You might want to start out with doing yoga as a way to relax. Concentrate on breathing patterns and then learn to gradually hold your breath. Relaxation is a key component to freediving.

I am sure that there are others who can better explain it than I can. Freediving for me is a very personal experience - it is indescribable.

Fun without pressure

Hi,
just bring her snorkeling in clear hot water, let her see the wonders. DO NOT PUSH her, stay near her so she feel secure, follow her rhythm. She's a virgin, take it easy and everything will go well. Once she get the taste of it, she'll be an addict like the rest of us.
:D

jeez, Frenchy...:hmm

Just keep doing your diving, lg. If your friend wants to, she'll ask. Describe what you saw your last dive, how it feels to float and fly, and that with the prpoer precautions and understanding of the environment she's in, she might be curious enough to ask to be taken out to see what your gushing about. If she's not, don't, as in, Do Not guilt-trip, goad or push. That's a good way to piss somebody off and really turn them off to considering not only diving, but you.

sven

why not start with swimming...when you swim sometimes you hold your breath...that is on the surface, but then you learn that it won't kill you if you don't breath for a short period of time..then bit longer and voila you have time to explore the world bit deeper than the surface..
To feel comfortable in water in general is the key thing for freediving...:hmm

Re: Radical

Originally posted by crazyfrenchmen
I say 50 pound of lead shall solve that problem.:duh :D
Which problem..... nagging wife/girlfriend or the fear you mean..:duh

make her get in love

My wife was also afraid, (not from me) from the water.
I took her to see "The Big Blue".
Showed her my underwater pictures.
Took her to my favorite diving place and just snorkel around, it was very easy because we used to life in the caribbean.
At this moment she likes the sea, maybe not as much as I do.
You must let her know the ocean before she decides to explore it.
Maybe she'll never love it like you, but I'm sure that she will feel something. The love for freediving is beyond my knowledge and I don't remember how and when I felt in love.
For my this love has been for ever.

Those are good points. I think I will just give it a rest. Were not close just buds but we have been on snorkeling trips together. I guess i assumed that since she liked water she would freedive.:D

Well, if she's already been snorkeling, she's been freediving. It's merely a matter of depth and the degree that she enjoys it. Good for the both of you.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT