• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin advice?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jul 16, 2004
For a few years I have been freediving each year for a few weeks. Usually it is spearfishing or lobstering. I have been using scuba fins with botties.

I want a new pair of fins. They need to be good for freediving, but since I rarely freedive I also want to be able to use them in the pool. I want a fin that I can swim laps with for around 30 minutes. I do not know anything about fins so I would like some advice. My scuba fins do not seem to work well for surface swimming. I do not want to spend more than around $100.

I have never tried the see how deep I can go thing, but sometimes I try to see how far I can swim underwater in the pool. Is there a way to estmate maximim depth from horizontal swimming ability?

Reactions: jimdoe2you
Hi 1009, welcome to DB.

Longfins are kind of clumsy in a pool, but I work out with mine every week. Sporasub or omer pockets have angled blades that are better for surface swimming, Sporasubs can be used barefoot if they fit well. You should be able to find a pair with plastic blades for close to $100. The sporas model is called "desault" If you don't mind turning a little on your side, Cressi garas are decent and cheap fins with very comfortable foot pockets for many people. Note on fins: fin fit and performance are EXTREMELY individual. Try before you buy..

There is a ton of stuff on this subject in the forum. Learn to use the search function, that will lead you to the formula for vertical vs horizontal ability.

Connor

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT