• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin Fit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oneoldude

Feb 7, 2005
Ok, I have been out of the loop for a long time. I am old, out of shape and have lost all technique. I plan to do some pool training and perhaps some hookah diving until I shape up. I have a lot of work to do and I need some fins to get started.

After researching the net I have concluded any of the following fins should be about ideal as “training wheels”: Mares Plana Avanti Tre; Ocenic Carib; and Aeris Velocity. While I know that I should try the fins out before buying, that is not an option. None of these fins are sold in my area so I must buy from the net.

Fit is crucial. I do not want foot cramps or blisters. Been there, done that, did not like it. To avoid those problems, in the past, I went to open heel fins with booties. Now I am looking at full foot fins, so I am asking for advice on fit. I know that different manufacturers have different standards for their described sizes and hope someone can direct me.

My foot size is a 10.5 with a high arch and a bit of extra width. A normal 10.5 is tight and an 11 is a tad sloppy in shoes. The manufacturers describe sizes for their fins as: Mares Tre 9.5-10.5 or 11-12; Oceanic 10-11; and Aeris 10.5-11.5. Any suggestions as to which might be a good fit for me? Indeed, any suggestions at all will be helpful, including my choice of “training wheels”.

Thanks

OOD

others will probably be able to give you better advice on what you asked for, but my suggestion is that if there are any fins that are in your area, to try them out and see how you like the fit on them, and to possibly buy them. It really is much better to try them on yourself, because what will fit one person fine may not be comfortable for another, even if they have the same shoe size, since their feet are all different shapes as well as sizes. You can also modify your footpockets when you get your fins if they arent to your liking, by soaking them in extremely hot water and putting something in the pocket to get the desired change while it cools.
hope that helps:)
rory

Hi old dude.
Can't help you with fin fitting, but I think you might have missed something imporant.
Those are SCUBA fins you are speaking of that CAN be used for snorkeling/freediving, but those are not freediving fins. I suggest you should get long fins from the start, just make sure the baldes are soft. It's a whole different world and if it is freediving(/spearfishing) that you intend to do, freediving equipment will work best.

Old dude, We seem to have the same size foot. I'd recommend full foot freediving fins in european size 44-46 with 5mm booties. If that is too tight go to 3mm booties. You will need booties or neoprene socks anyway if you ever dive cold water. You can get or make cut below-the ankle booties or socks for warm water if you don't want the funny "white sock" tan lines. Softer fiberplastic fins from manufacturers like OMER, XXOne, Matrix or Specialfins would not only be soft enough for starting back up but also ideal for shallow to medium depths and surface swimming once your comeback is complete.
Mark

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT