• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fin type used for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eualthemule

Dec 6, 2001
clearly there is a difference in the type of fins used for scuba diving as opposed to freediving.....i understand that the long blade fins are used for deep freediving....but what do spearos usually wear, considering they might not be going as deep as pure freedivers.....and considering that they may be swimming horizontal in order to spear a fish....would scuba type fins be more appropriate for such an underwater activity???....thanks for your thoughts
Tyler

fins for stealth

Tyler
If u search the archives on this site, you'll find plenty of info on fins . Mainly for freedive of course, but some info . Mainly it depends on where you're diving . Shallow less than 10 feet or as deep as 100 feet . No point wearing huge longblades in the shallows unless you're fighting a massive rip . No point in wearing tiny blades while trying to dive beyond 50 feet .
Manouverability is key in rocky shallows, caves or surf .
I spearfished for years as a kid with scuba flippers and they were fine . Now I have a cheaper pair of long blades that were pretty stiff and not easy to use in the shallows amongst the rocks so I shortened them on a band saw . Stiffer than scuba fins and longer, but not as long as longblades . Now the're perfect for what I do .... But that's just me . Shallow water hunter covering plenty of territory . Start simple with some cheap scuba flippers and progress from there . You'll know what to do from there .....
Or you could be like a friend of mine that went down to the shop and spent $1000 and bought top of the line everything; gun, mask, snorkel, longblade fins, float, knife, floating bungee line,books, etc . All on day one . After a three weeks, he was cutting 70 foot dives and spearing fish no problem .
So it all depends on what depth you'll be hunting at . Maybe check out blue water hunter website from there . Good luck !
:cool:
Jet blades were always a favorite with many until longblades bacame popular . Longblades are the most popular in Hawaii . Don't buy carbons unless you're away from rocks, or they'll break .And don't bother with a monofin for spearfishing, it doesn't work . So it all boils down to terrain and depth .

Last edited:
look like a fish?

Hi,

Good luck with finding gear, it is a journey unto itself.
In my experience, carbons give a more natural flow than
than plastic freedive fins. I use my jet fins as back-up for freediving. Unless I'm into caves, which I avoid, or wrecks with scuba, I use my long fins. The long fins have helped to change my relationship with the sea, smoother.

Happy hunting,

FD48

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT