• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Finally started with Cardio training!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
Yesterday I got my Polar'a HRM. Because of the school I wasn't been able to train yesterday so i did it today.
33 min of training on my Orbitrek. Time in zone 29.45 min. Average HR 162.
I think half of hour is not too bad for the beginning. I'll try to get to one hour of exericsing/day afer a few weeks.:king ;)

Don't make the same mistake I did with too much cardio. Over the past two years I have been running to improve the freediving. At the end of last years dive season (October), I boosted my 3 runs a week from 10Km per run to 15 Km per run. I did this 28 miles a week for 7 months leading up to the new season in April. The first few weeks of diving went great, but as the combination of diving and all of that cardio seemed to take its toll. I began to samba very easily, even on shallow 60-70' dives. I'm not entirely certain if it was the inadequate recoveries between running sessions, the reduced blood pressure, or the formation of more efficient mitochondria to the muscle cells, that caused the problem. After the dive season got under way, and I cut back the running to once a week, the symptoms totally vanished. It took over a month though. I also got into the habit of hook breathing upon surfacing, and to an extent, incorporate it into my breathe-up. Initially, I did not make the connection with excessive cardio training and samba/bo. BTW, I would never run the day before (and usually after) a dive. I don't even like to dive consecutive days due to how thoroughly I like to be hydrated before a session. Also, I would keep the HR to around 90% of maximum. I don't mean to discourage you, but I was kind of discouraged after running almost 1000 miles between seasons, only to find out I did more harm than good. I'm not saying eliminate cardio, just do it in moderation and be prepared to loose lots of hydration and nutrients. Give extreme priority to replenishing them.

You made a good choice by deciding to use a HR monitor. I call it "the body's tachometer" that truly tells you if you're "red-lining" or undertraining. I hope this saves you much wasted effort.

Jim

There is some evidence out there that cardio is actually bad for you. I am leaning towards believing it, given the free-radicals that are produced and other problems associated with aerobic training. I still do some, with biking and faster walking, but have found that lots of cardio is not necessarily good for me, even though it feels good. Feeling good isn't necessarily a reason to do something to excess, I have found :(
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Anyone who will be at DEMA may be interested in talking with Martin Stepanek and his coach Doug Peterson about what Martin does for training. They will be based at DeeperBlue.net's booth during the show along with the USAA and Tanya Streeter, as well as other notables within the freedive community

Our booth number is #902

See you all there!

Don't make the same mistake I did with too much cardio. Over the past two years I have been running to improve the freediving. At the end of last years dive season (October), I boosted my 3 runs a week from 10Km per run to 15 Km per run. I did this 28 miles a week for 7 months leading up to the new season in April. The first few weeks of diving went great, but as the combination of diving and all of that cardio seemed to take its toll. I began to samba very easily, even on shallow 60-70' dives. I'm not entirely certain if it was the inadequate recoveries between running sessions, the reduced blood pressure, or the formation of more efficient mitochondria to the muscle cells, that caused the problem. After the dive season got under way, and I cut back the running to once a week, the symptoms totally vanished. It took over a month though. I also got into the habit of hook breathing upon surfacing, and to an extent, incorporate it into my breathe-up. Initially, I did not make the connection with excessive cardio training and samba/bo. BTW, I would never run the day before (and usually after) a dive. I don't even like to dive consecutive days due to how thoroughly I like to be hydrated before a session. Also, I would keep the HR to around 90% of maximum. I don't mean to discourage you, but I was kind of discouraged after running almost 1000 miles between seasons, only to find out I did more harm than good. I'm not saying eliminate cardio, just do it in moderation and be prepared to loose lots of hydration and nutrients. Give extreme priority to replenishing them.

Thanx for the advice
thumbs.gif
I'll be carefull

Anyone who will be at DEMA may be interested in talking with Martin Stepanek and his coach Doug Peterson about what Martin does for training. They will be based at DeeperBlue.net's booth during the show along with the USAA and Tanya Streeter, as well as other notables within the freedive community

Our booth number is #902

See you all there!

I would sure like to be there. but I can't:waterwork
Hope there'll be some chating about that on Deeperblue.

There is some evidence out there that cardio is actually bad for you. I am leaning towards believing it, given the free-radicals that are produced and other problems associated with aerobic training. I still do some, with biking and faster walking, but have found that lots of cardio is not necessarily good for me, even though it feels good. Feeling good isn't necessarily a reason to do something to excess, I have found

I have been very lazy for the past two months.
Besides diving, packing, streching and pranayama i wasn't doing any other training at all so the Cardio can only help me for now;)

Regarding the free radicals - unless you are taking antioxidents, you run a higher risk of this issue affecting you.

But then again, just living can kill you...;)

At what point does one not do cardio for fear of free radicals -vs- the other positive benefits of regular cardio exercise.

Moderation is the key in this instance.

OK i will listen to you advies.
Today i was training only 15 min. I'll train like that for a few weeks and then i'll increase my training time by 15 min and so on...
Today in 15 min i did 7 km at HR ~150.

That's incredible! You were doing a 3:26 mile for 4.35 miles. The beginning of your training is way better than most of us ever end up with after years of training. Can I ask your height and weight?

Jim

The numbers seems to be wrong:confused:

The speed is 2.08 per km which is faster than the world record in 1000m which i belive is Sebastian Coe's 2.13...or am I wrong.

Originally posted by Jersey Jim
That's incredible! You were doing a 3:26 mile for 4.35 miles. The beginning of your training is way better than most of us ever end up with after years of training. Can I ask your height and weight?

Jim

Hight: 186
Weight: 80 kg

The numbers seems to be wrong

The speed is 2.08 per km which is faster than the world record in 1000m which i belive is Sebastian Coe's 2.13...or am I wrong.

Im not sure what are you thinking.
If you are thinking in running you are wrong.
I'm training on a machine that it's like a byke just your not moving and you stand all the time
The numbers are correct!
The weather wasn't good so i wasn't running but i'll do that too

Sorry, my mistake. I re-read your original post and saw you were training on an "Orbitrek"? Somehow I thought you were talking about running. Maybe because the "favorite cardio" thread was still in my head.

Happy peddling,

Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT