• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

finished

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pelcami

Tobin Lee
Jun 16, 2008
Took me a while, but it's finally done!

55 enclosed track. T-laminated teak/mahogany/carbon fiber. 9/32 shaft. 3x 5/8 bands. Testing accuracy this week.

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny and mishu1984
It's beautiful. If you're made it yourself, you're an artist (hawaiian gun makers seem to be very talented indeed).
My only perplexity is on the bright colour. In Europe we don't use bright colour guns, they seem to scare away our shy european fish. But I guess this is no issue for bluwater hunting with your big fat hawaian fish?

It's beautiful. If you're made it yourself, you're an artist (hawaiian gun makers seem to be very talented indeed).
My only perplexity is on the bright colour. In Europe we don't use bright colour guns, they seem to scare away our shy european fish. But I guess this is no issue for bluwater hunting with your big fat hawaian fish?

Mahalo Spago and all, for the kuds and words of encouragement. Considering experience and skill of the folk on this island, it is especially generous to seem lumped into the group of 'talented Hawai'ian Gun Makers.'

Months ago, when I first started thinking about an all-around, mid-range gun with some blue water capabilities - some of the big guys were willing to talk story with me and extended much ohana. Darryl Wong met with me at 4PM on a Friday after his work, brought out a bunch of guns, and spent more than an hour stokin' me out with fishing stories and explaining properties of the GR/Magnum Hybrids. Rob White's site at Kona Blue Water Hunter has always been a solid reference. For being a mellow guy, the man has a serious kung-fu grip. Also helpful was the ability to just walk into the main Hanapa'a store - ask to see a 55 Yokooji enclosed track, and study its dimensions. My friend Glen Suzuki, who makes custom spears and guns there, advised me on a number of the basics. In the pictures you see here, he crafted the shaft with special 'fins.' The Alexander 'blueprints' were also assuring. Some of the tougher parts of the build were made easier with his trigger mech, and Neptonic enclosed track. It kinda sounds like a laundry list here, but I'm trying to say the work is a fusion of much collective knowledge and experience. These guys are my teachers - and I'm thankful for that.

This is my first build. It's a prototype of sorts. Hence, the non-stealthy paint job.

Mature, aged, straight-grain teak isn't sold at a number of the basic hardware stores here. I don't even see it at specialty shops. In the last three months of searching, all of the teak I came across (on-island) was young, and burled (or had knot holes) but still selling for US$26-29 a board foot. For reasons of availability, and lower risk (in case of a major goof up), I decided my first gun would be a study in the substitution of mahogany/carbon fiber laminate for teak laminate. Later on, after I had already made the vertical part of the blank, I did come across some mature, straight grain, Burmese teak. You see a bar of that at the bottom of the gun, forming the cross piece.

The gun is also a study of the Heinrich release. Since the pictures posted above, I've been doing some testing in the shallows of Kualoa Beach (10 minutes down the road). When using 2mm/400# Electralume monofilament, my top bight of tag line sometimes slipped off the rear fin. Some mods were performed. A rig that better secures the tag line is below.

rearfin.jpg

Can't say it's whacked any fatties yet, but agree there is much challenge and fun in sneaking up on the skittish smaller fish. We have the uhu uliuli here (male blue parrotfish). They are one of the toughest. If they see you, they swim FAST. Stone one of those and we throw a party.

If anything cool gets stuck on the end - I'll let you know. :D

Last edited:
nice gun. looks sweet. what kind of paint did u use to coat it? what did you do to seal up the inner wood. im aging my first stock currently and it's mahogany too. a little concerned about water soaking into the wood from the inside out.

when i was living in kauai, my best experience with those uhu's was to play a little peekaboo. hide... peek... hide... THWACK!

nice gun. looks sweet. what kind of paint did u use to coat it? what did you do to seal up the inner wood. im aging my first stock currently and it's mahogany too. a little concerned about water soaking into the wood from the inside out.

when i was living in kauai, my best experience with those uhu's was to play a little peekaboo. hide... peek... hide... THWACK!

Hi 82. Thank you.

Paint: WestSystem 105 with the 206 slow hardener, mixed with coloring pigment made at Fiberglass Hawai'i. Applied to pre-warmed surface not more than 105 ºF (40.5 ºC).

Pre-lamination wood seal: Two coats spar urethane. Thinned with Interlux 333 brushing liquid (not more than 10% by volume). As this is the first time I've used this method, I can't tell you how well it works.

In one respect, I am glad the uhu are a tough kill. They eat reef and poop out 'sand'. They help make the beaches here.
Lookin' forward to hearing how your project goes.

Last edited:
It looks fantastic.:king
In one respect, I am glad the uhu are a tough kill. They eat reef and poop out 'sand'. They help make the beaches here.
Lookin' forward to hearing how your project goes.
You learn something new everyday. I thought everybody was trying to save the reefs from bleaching - so interesting to hear an alternative perspective. Just part of nature's food web and its complex, closed loop control system.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT