• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Finning Techniques

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Brian Hamilton

Subsea Sniper
Jun 15, 2003
I have just bought my first pair of proper freediving fins, Cressi Gara 2000HF's. As mentioned in another post I am relatively new to freediving.

My buddy has a pair of Esclapez fins and we both use a technique where we sort of rock our hips from side to side which has the effect of moving the fins slowly and smoothly through the water . This technique feels quite natural and is seems to use little oxygen.

Are there any other techniques which I can try with these fins?

What is the most energy efficient way to kick with freediving fins?

I am diving to about 17 metres now and am interested in conserving as much oxygen as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian,

HF's were my first fin too. I found them to be nice for going up and down, but on the surface they were.....er....:confused: ....well.....the worst fin I've ever used :eek: . I managed to get from A to B on the surface using a scissors kick, but this wasn't my favorite option since it didn't afford me the luxury of being able to view underwater as I swam. Some complain that the Cressi footpockets are too floppy, but I found them comfortable. That is until I used any socks thicker than 3mm. Italians must have long, narrow feet because my 'German/English' feet are too fat :eek: . I now use Sporasub Dessaults and find them to be more to my liking. Unless you have big, strong legs, a standard flutter kick is likely to wear you out. If you do start to fatigue, try dolphin kicking. I found this to be the best kick for those fins. But then, I'm just a little guy :t .

Ted

hey Brian

I got the same fins too. They are magic. But I do find them a little floppy. And yes, the surface swim takes a little while to get used to. I usally put one hand infront, the other one behind me dragging the float and I do this bicycle kick thing.

I found a crazy crazy way to help me accend. I'm going up 2 to 3 times faster with this technique.

I'm pretty much using the same technique as Topi's 60m world record unassisted constant ballet( or no weights and no fins). You can check out the video at
http://www.divingfree.com/html/videos.htm

This is what I do. When I'm coming up I do a frog kick and I do the same motion with my hands at the same time. While I'm moving I do a dolphin kick. As I'm finishing the dolphin kick I bring my arms up and I do another dolphin kick. Then I swing my arms down and finish it with another dolphin kick. It's the same thing Topi's doing in the video with an extra dolphin kick to top it off. Man, I tell you I couldn't belive how fast I was coming up. By far the best technique I came across.

However there is a serious problem that goes with this. If you are not doing it right it would prabably use too much oxygen. You want to be really careful with the dolphin kick. My advice is practice diving without fins and weights. You'll notice you have to do it super gentle and patiently. Otherwise you run out of air real quick. I practice this a lot by just going down any where above 20ft and swiming side ways with the fins. You really want to get the movement with your hand and your dolphin kick synchronized. You'll feel it when you get it right.

If you are into meditation visualize yourself becoming half dolphin. Like your bottom half becomes dolphin. Imagine swiming underwater in the most beautiful water. Free from everything. And you're hands and your kick is perfectly synchronized. You're just flying effortlessly underwater.

Good luck and let me know what you think.

Have a great dive!!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT