• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins/Backpain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lou

Aug 26, 2001
Hi Guys,
I don't know if anyone has run into this problem - I'm using a pair of Cressi 2000HF fins and since I've been using them I've found that I'm getting back ache, Freedive! the bible! says its possible to get lower back ache from too stiff a fin but I do find these comfortable and they are brilliant in the water, is it a case of building up back strength to them or get rid of them before I cripple myself. I also think that this may be coincidental as my general life style - picking up my kids, carrying things badly etc could be part of the problem :duh . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fin-ache

Hi Lou, I sympathize with the back pain you are having; I had some back problems about 12 years ago, which helped me to discover yoga and proper training techniques. I still get a sore back if I sit around too much.
Besides just getting used to your fins, you may, if you are inclined, try a very simple exercise that will strengthen your spine.
Lie fgace down on the carpet at home, with your arms stretched out over your head. In one motion, lift your arms, head, and straightened legs toward the ceiling, while you inhale. Not too fast, you don't want inertia, but not too slow either. Hold the "banana" position for 1 or 2 seconds, then come back down. Do 10 or 15 , 2 sets.
Now do the opposite. Lying on your back, pull your self into a slight crunch position , arms over your head, legs straight. Same timimg, and number of reps. vSome might disagree about the crunch exercise, but you should do some sort of crunch or sit-up to balance it out.
This is very simple, only takes a few minutes a couple of times a week, and may do a lot more for you than just to help with diving(picking up kids, mugs of ale, etc.).
Good luck,
Erik Y.

I was using Cressi Garra 2000HF for years and I had occasional lower back pain. Two years ago I switched to Picasso Carbonium BT-III and guess what: no back pain. They were supposed to be stiffer than the plastic 2000HF but they feel much more comfortable and give more thrust with less effort.
Maybe the fact that I reduced the led ballast from 6kg to 3kg has something to do with it as well.
Hope this helps
Hydro

I don't know much about stiffness versus not, but I have always associated muscle pain with the surface area of the fin. The quick advice to UWH players experiencing calf cramps is not to eat more bananas, but to use a smaller fin.
I would also wonder about posture--always a number one suspect for physical therapists when consulted on back pain. I have long noticed that a lot of divers take up positions that look very inefficient and possible painful. (Especially relative new free divers who have had the drawbacks or SCUBA courses.)
You might want to do some motion analysis, try a different attitude or shifting the work to other muscle groups just to see what happens.
If you want to see some REAL muscle freakouts, try switching to monofins---whole different muscle groups started screaming in outrage.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT