• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fins carbon or plastic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Big Bad Brown

Oct 9, 2012
i would like to get other opinions on what fins are the best for all around shoreline and bluewater spearfishing. im swaying torwards the carbon but im not sure, also are the solid fins better than the split ones, sorry im pretty new to this

Very different uses. You will be happier with two sets. If stuck with one, I'd go plastic. Not as nice as carbon or fiberglass, but shoreline diving is pretty rough on fins. Good plastic, Cressi or similar, will stand up to more abuse than either fiberglass or carbon.

Split fins, as they exist today, are garbage for freediving.

Connor

Hi mate. For spearfishing you ideally want freediving fins, they are longer than snorkelling fins and aren't split in the middle (I think this is what you are referring to). Like you've said they come in plastic, carbon or fibreglass. What material you choose depends on your diving style eg boat divers often use carbon fins as they are less likely to bang them against rocks or anything else as they generally dive deeper venues. Plastic fins are very good for beginners or experienced spearos who are a bit clumsy or heavy handed. Fibreglass fins are a compromise between carbon and plastic, they have a similar curve pattern to carbon but are more durable and can take more abuse like plastic. Another thing to think about is plastic fins are effected by water temperature eg if in warm water they are slightly softer in the flex than if they are use in cold water. Where as fibreglass or carbon aren't affected by temperature. I personally started with plastic, but now use carbon blades and I climb over rocks and only shore dive, mostly amongst rocks and reefs. So as long as you don't bang them on rocks or try to stand on the blades carbon will be ok. Personally I would recommend plastic for newbies as its a lot less money to spend when not entirely sure how well you will get in with them (some people cramp a lot when first going to longer fins)

Hope this has given you a bit more info, to help you make the right choice. Sorry I can't be of more help

well thank you for all the advice, i think i will be able to come to a definite decision on them. very helpful!

i would like to get other opinions on what fins are the best for all around shoreline and bluewater spearfishing. im swaying torwards the carbon but im not sure, also are the solid fins better than the split ones, sorry im pretty new to this

Hello, the carbon fins are produced in many models sometimes very low cost. We known that carbons fins can break when you bang on the rocks and that's why recently in Italy the deep divers are choosing composite fins, longer but very efficient. With little effort you will have an incredible response and ascents very fast.it's a different mode to use them, you must swim withfrequency not use mucho power but who has tried them has been impressed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT