• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins for Surface Swimming

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Darkle

Feb 17, 2019
Hi,
I wondered if anyone had an opinion about what style of bi-fins would be best for long distance surface finning.
I'm thinking 10-20km. I'm assuming fairly flexible carbon fins might be the way forward, but have never tried any.

Has any of you done these sort of distances? How did you find it?

I do leg exercise in the pool with my Mako soft fiberglass fins - on my back. I do this for about 10-15 minutes non-stop at a fairly vigorous rate (not sprint) and could go much further, but thats not the point for me. I guess you could do a kind of "marathon" like this.

I regularly use my carbon fins, but for really long surface swims I would stick with my ancient Scubapro Jetfins. On the downward stroke of your kick you build a vacuum on the top side of the blade. The vacuum pulls the blades back toward the surface. The vents in the jetfins (or Scubapro sea wings) relieves much of the vacuum, minimizing the energy loss.
I would also play with different kicks. You want to push the water back, not down, so a kick using your calves to push the water back as much as possible will help a lot.

Thanks for the replies, the Jetfins look interesting. I read they were designed in 1965, which is a long time ago. They must have hit on a really good design for them to keep selling them; although I am surprised a better refinement hasn't come along by now.

Lots of people seem to say swimming on their backs or sides is more efficient. On your side really makes sense to me as you get no interference from the surface. When I swim on my back in the sea I get a lot of splash in my face which affects breathing, unless I keep my head high which must create more drag.

A bit more background for me: I'm fairly new to freediving, although have been in the water all my life (bodyboarding,surfing, scuba, kayaking.)

I have been doing some 10km swims in the sea and local reservoirs, just for fun/exercise and to see what my limits are. This is in the UK, so 16c/ 60F max temps and a 5mm wetsuit. I've been been using my old bodyboarding fins, which work fine, but I am interested in finding something more efficient.

What I am really surprised by, is that I can't find any information on long distance ocean swimmers using fins.
Sure, I realize its 'cheating' by usual swimming rules. But in my mind its such an obvious thing to do, and must be way more efficient.
Going without fins sounds as extreme as doing a barefoot marathon!
If we look at finswimming, times are 10-20% faster than olympic freestyle records.

Does anyone have any info on people doing this sort of thing?
Am I missing something obvious!

As a "vintage snorkeller", I'm always pleased to read about the use of fins, masks and snorkels for forward propulsion on the surface as well as for descent to the depths. Everybody knows that fins provide swimmers and divers with extra power, speed and manoeuvrability. But what about the fourth benefit of fins: endurance? Fins also enable people to swim and float in the water for extended periods of time without succumbing to fatigue. The modern inventor of fins, Louis de Corlieu, didn't come up with the idea of "propulseurs de natation" (swimming propellers) to win swimming races. He intended them to be life-saving, water rescue devices. Where the priority is survival, endurance matters much more than any other benefit.

If you're looking for literature about the use of fins, masks and snorkels for long-distance swimming, I would recommend the following book:
9923169.jpg

Swimming Free: On and Below the Surface of Lake, River and Sea.
Geoffrey Fraser Dutton. William Heinemann Ltd, London. 1972. Hardcover, dustjacket, 154 pages.

What can we do with ourselves-what is there to do-once we have learnt to swim? I hope to answer this question in the following pages. I hope to show that there exists for every swimmer a new and unsuspected world-not thousands of miles away or hugely expensive but here under his nose in river, lake, sea, even in pond and ditch and flooded meadow, available now with the simplest of equipment. You no longer have to brave frigid waters-warm rubber suits are for all; with fins and mask and snorkel you enjoy a confidence and freedom of the water never before offered to Man. You merely need to have learnt to swim-well. Then you can begin to look around you, at your new inheritance.

I offer in these pages a personal solution-but it applies to everyone who longs to explore aquatic worlds more imaginative than s weimming pool, and more accessible than the Red Sea; and who wishes simply to swim, and not be burdened with expensive specialized apparatus. It should whet the appetite of those who are not yet competent swimmers, and refresh those who are happy just to be beside loch, river or sea-everyone, surely, who finds adventure in our despoiled terrestrial environment becomes ever less satisfying and ever more mechanical. Here is simplicity and freedom, uncontaminated, unsuspected.

Above are the opening paragraphs of a British book published over three decades ago and written by a man who climbs, skis, walks and swims as he travels. The volume focuses on what the blurb on the dustcover calls "adventure swimming", namely swimming in open waters, such as rivers, lakes and the sea, with the aid of fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit, while hiking and camping across country. What he describes largely resembles what has come to be called "swimhiking" in the new millennium. I admire this book because it is very much "before its time" and because its robust portrayal of snorkelling as a cold-water means of getting from A to B while enjoying the view above and below the waves is so different from some people's perception of snorkelling as an activity confined to remote, expensive, warm, tropical resorts on ocean islands devoid of culture and nightlife, an exclusive pursuit for the overpaid, the effete, the very timid and the very young.

The activity of swimhiking has a strong connection with the part of the United Kingdom where I live, the North East of England. There's even a book about swimhiking hereabouts: "Swimhiking in the Lake District and North East England" by Peter Hayes:
ef44f96642a040b1108aa110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkle and hteas
Sea Wings, from Scubapro, are the modern version of the Jetfins., so, yes, there is a modern version. According to dick Bonin, the original CEO of scubapro, the notches in the side ribs at the end of the footpocket were designed for a push kick; start with bent knee, kick with calf to bend the blade, then push back using the bent blade to move forward. It takes a little adjusting, but is a much more efficient kick for surface swimming.

DRW, as usual, your historical knowledge is amazing.

Reactions: Darkle and DRW
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT