• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fins?/knee cap pain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
The top side of my knee cap has started to hurt. It can get real sharp if the knee is bent a lot and I put much preasure on it to straighted quickly. I've been working out pretty hard with a new pair of body surfing fins that are much larger than my previous fins, plus doing my normal workouts with longfins. Otherwise I'm not doing anything different. Never had any knee problems in the past.

Could this be related? Anybody out there experiance something similar? What did you do about it?

Thanks

Connor

In the past, doctors I've talked to regarding freediving related problems (assuming this is related) have been so ignorant that I kind of gave up. Must be somebody knowledgable around here, but I haven't found them. Usually much more knowledge on this board.

Connor

cdavis said:
In the past, doctors I've talked to regarding freediving related problems (assuming this is related) have been so ignorant that I kind of gave up. Must be somebody knowledgable around here, but I haven't found them. Usually much more knowledge on this board.

Connor
Now that's a common problem. :hmm
I think it's safe to declare it as not related, eventhough lack of O2 gives more strain on those muscles. Call it finning (or extreme snorkeling) or something. :)
The important thing for these sort of physicians (I'm unsure of the formal title ,I think it's orthopedic doctors) is the movement you are doing and what you feel. From that they know what makes the problem and work on a solution.

Anyway I'de say you should reduce intensity till you're in the clear, you don't want some chronic legiment problem....
EDIT: goodluck. :)

Oftentimes this is something called 'crepitation' which, as I understand it, is a sort of erosion of the cartilage under the kneecap. To some extent it happens to everybody. I'm sketchy on this but sometimes it is a tracking problem resulting from muscle imbalances that affect the path of the kneecap over the joint - this aspect of it is somewhat correctable with rightly geared exercise. It can also be a sort of sri - wherein in the course of working out the joint get's irritated and inflamed and does not get a chance to deflame. Like I said this can result in increased erosion of the cartilage. You'll want to see someone with sports injury knowlege - and try to find ways of moving that do not excacerbate it.
On the other hand it may be a ligament injury at the attachment point - which can also contribute to the problem I've described.

You may also be overusing the knee joint in your stroke. In any case you should completely avoid all pain until you've determined what it is.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT