• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First build (U.K.)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
Had a go at building a gun last year but basically cocked it up on the router table when profiling the edges!

finally got round to laminating some more iroko and got one done, made over 2 days (not including the laminating)

i just ripped off a riffe euro 90 essentially but used a trigger mech and pistol grip from neptonics. Shaft is a 7.1mm riffe shark fin

0-EEC5140-D4-CA-4722-86-AE-4519-EB0384-FF.jpg

32-A209-E4-37-C5-407-A-B355-FC57510-CEABD.jpg

A5453-B7-D-0-C45-4126-B332-F0-D408903880.jpg

CC197-D54-79-D7-4973-A8-B5-24-A2-D0-E67229.jpg

went for double 16s which is more stopping power than needed but I’ve done quick release bridle lines so can always whip a band off, or if the weathers good then run double bands with a double wrap.

90 is pretty much the sweet spot for the U.K. so hopefully it can be a do it all gun!

was a good learning curve, I’m not much of a wood worker but think it turned out great, will probably need a bit of ballasting so I’ll have to cut a slot underneath and cast some lead in at some point.. can’t wait to get it in the water now!

Well took it out a few days ago for the first time, shoots accurately and smoothly. It was my first time using a double banded gun too but no tangles and it was easy to load

took 2 pollock and made a heap of fish fingers for me and my boy

suprisingly I thought I would have to add some lead as I was expecting it to float but I don’t need to. In a few feet of water the gun floats perfectly flat with the shaft in. In 10m of water the gun sink slowly slightly handle first (you want the weight nearer the handle so that’s a good thing). Gun itself obviously floats without the shaft in but as it’s a heavy shaft (130cm 7.1mm) the shaft itself will drag the gun down slowly after firing. I’m thinking a float line alone might give enough extra bouyancy to counter this (I didn’t use a float line, will be next time).

Need to add a float line attachment point by drilling through the rear of the stock (like riffe do). But after practising on some scrap wood just not accurate enough with a cordless drill so need to use a friends bench drill to avoid it looking like crap- worried about making a mess of it at the last stage!

I’m considering adding a horizontal reel, not really needed in the U.K. but may be a good option if I want to anchor my float at a mark and disconnect the float line

Did the final cut down of the trigger mech retaining pins and sanded them down flush, so it’s all finished now apart from the float line hole in the rear!

Float line hole drilled and countersunk. Took a bit of figuring out to ensure I didn’t hit any screws from either the butt lad or pistol grip mount

a satisfying build but won’t need to do another for a while. I’d purchased a router table and a bandsaw for this and have now sold them off to get some garage space back. Also made a profit on them which means the whole gun build didn’t cost me anything!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT