• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First carbon fin. Cetma or Alchmey? Small diver.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LaLtheGaL

Nov 24, 2022
Hello fellow divers,

I will admit that I’m pretty new to Freediving, only starting in July, but I’ve been hooked and getting into the water as much as possible.

I currently use the Cressi Gara Impulse and switch out between the Sprints depending on the situation and love having that modular option. My Impulse blades are wearing out; rails are beginning to strip out, and white stress marks appearing across the blades. So I think it’s going to be time for new fins soon.

I’m 162cm (about 5’3”) and 52kg (114lbs). I do enjoy both line diving and recreational diving. I’d like to get fins that will support my line diving first and use my Cressi Sprints in the meantime for shallower dives. I’ll be doing a Wave 3 course in March, so would like to get some time on the new fins before then.

Right now I’m looking at the Alchemy V330 or the Cetma Mantra’s. I’m leaning towards the Cetma’s because the Cetma footpocket was the most comfortable (the C4 400’s were a close second) and I like that the blades allow you to swap out easily with the same footpocket, whereas the Alchemy is a glued in system. My hesitance on the Cetma’s, is that crazy 33 degree angle. My ankles are very flexible and coming from a swimming background, I’m worried I’ll have to drastically change my kick pattern to compensate for the angle? But maybe I am wrong. My other smaller concern is the length of the blade. Those things are huge! Are they too long for someone of my height? I know the CWT Mantra’s have less of an angle, and are slightly shorter, but they are not offered in an extra-soft option. Would soft be too stiff for my smaller stature?

Anyways, I would love your opinions and especially would love to hear from some smaller divers, if they have a favourite?

You'll get used to the blades angle. Get the ultra softs no matter which model you choose.

For spearfishing you don't want your fins to be too long. For freediving it is ok if they are long.

I like meister stuff personally. They spend less on marketing and more on making good fins

start with the most during a long dive.comfortable footpockets. They can make quite a diffwerence

Hello fellow divers,

I will admit that I’m pretty new to Freediving, only starting in July, but I’ve been hooked and getting into the water as much as possible.

I currently use the Cressi Gara Impulse and switch out between the Sprints depending on the situation and love having that modular option. My Impulse blades are wearing out; rails are beginning to strip out, and white stress marks appearing across the blades. So I think it’s going to be time for new fins soon.

I’m 162cm (about 5’3”) and 52kg (114lbs). I do enjoy both line diving and recreational diving. I’d like to get fins that will support my line diving first and use my Cressi Sprints in the meantime for shallower dives. I’ll be doing a Wave 3 course in March, so would like to get some time on the new fins before then.

Right now I’m looking at the Alchemy V330 or the Cetma Mantra’s. I’m leaning towards the Cetma’s because the Cetma footpocket was the most comfortable (the C4 400’s were a close second) and I like that the blades allow you to swap out easily with the same footpocket, whereas the Alchemy is a glued in system. My hesitance on the Cetma’s, is that crazy 33 degree angle. My ankles are very flexible and coming from a swimming background, I’m worried I’ll have to drastically change my kick pattern to compensate for the angle? But maybe I am wrong. My other smaller concern is the length of the blade. Those things are huge! Are they too long for someone of my height? I know the CWT Mantra’s have less of an angle, and are slightly shorter, but they are not offered in an extra-soft option. Would soft be too stiff for my smaller stature?

Anyways, I would love your opinions and especially would love to hear from some smaller divers, if they have a favourite?
You absolutely do not need 33 degrees given your background. I have been swimming for close to 50 years including being on a team for close to 20. My 22 degrees Mares fins are annoying to use on a surface. As far as which fins - impossible to predict. After many years of using carbon/fiberglass fins I recenltly used my Mares Avanti Tre rubber/plastic fins and they are an absolute joy to use - no pain whatsoever. Also be very suspicious about the freediving kicking techniques those coaches peddle - like using the whole leg while swimmers work more from the knee down. Listen to your body and figure out when you burn the least oxygen. About the length of the blade: longer in general would be more tiresome. But you need to experiment so try to test out as many fins as possible.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT