• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First gun done - 25 layer lamination roller gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

theonetruerat

Champion Dumpster Diver
Nov 8, 2007
Got the first gun built. Water tested it over the weekend. Of course I could only shoot water as nothing is legal right now. It was cool because everything worked like it was supposed to. The spear runs out fast to the end of the shock cord. The spring adds a fourth link which controls the rotation of the sear. The lack of a cassette means that there is nothing for the sear to run into so there is no click. The line drop worked smooth. The gun was a bit heavy loaded but, buoyant empty. I will probably add a second fixed band further up the gun for a little faster spear and to add a little buoyancy. I put a magnet in the track to make it easier to load in the water and it is a bit too strong. Although, it would be perfect if I ever wanted to do any free shafting. Free shafting isn’t real likely considering the vis in inland lakes.

Everything is handmade. I cut in the spear so that the flopper is the same diameter as the spear so there is no high spot to slow the spear down on those tasty fish. I know what you are thinking, what’s up with the 25 layer lamination. Well, the hockey stick that I started with had 23 layers and the two pieces of pallet oak that I slapped on the sides finish up at twenty five. Lots of dumpster diving in this gun, All of the flat stainless and the delrin came out of the trash, As well as the hockey stick and the oak.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 255
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 274
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 278
A few more pictures

Just wanted to add a few more pictures.. .

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 273
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 251
Has it been shot yet or what! let us know! Recoil, distance, accurancy looks good

Has it been shot yet or what! let us know! Recoil, distance, accurancy looks good

Yeah.. . I got to shoot it and the accuracy seemed good but it's hard to say for sure because we had heavy rain the day befor which messed up the vis to less than 10 feet. I did see a big stripped bass while I was down there but.. . I don't think you can shoot them till the middle of June so I just chased it around for a while.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT