• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Homemade Gun(under construction)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The whole gun is made from douglas fir. The trigger guard has fiberglass reinforcement on the inside and outside. It's very strong.

Well I see you've finished your project! Looks really good!

I like the large pattern camo job!

I decided to camo the front end of my guns when I noticed the fish watching and reacting to the muzzle.
I painted one a fish scale olive green that blends better with the background color of the water I most often hunt. The other was a green/ brown mix that blends well with bottom algae. (photo below)

It made a difference they now watch me instead of the gun.

Attachments

• camojob.jpg
    camojob.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 259
You kill me man! You built a gun around a $5.00 shaft that is too funny. But I am glad you did and when you come home I will have plenty of spare bands and shafts after you bend the 1/4 " one on our monster fish. ; ) So custom knife sheaths, guns whats next? The gun looks great and I look forward to seeing it in person so take good care of it and bring it with you next time your back east.

Albert: The red paint is on the 38 special. I can throw up a picture of that tomorrow. I repainted that as well b/c I wanted it a little cleaner. The satin clear coat I used wasn't strong enough to protect the paint so I covered everything w/ a final coat of epoxy to add durability.

Fishtale: I like the 'algae' camo, it seems like it would blend very well. I know my camouflage isn't great for a short bottom gun, but I painted some swatches and just did what I thought look best on it's own. Aesthetics over functionality.

You can definitely tell when the fish are checking you out. Sometimes they see you and sometimes they don't.

Matt: Your forgetting the custom muzzles. I'll send you some photo's in case you want a few for the shop ;) . I just couldn't figure out a way to make my 38 special a midhandle so.... I am thinking about a 5/16 hawaiian as well, but I'm waiting b/c I'll need some longer shafts for my next two projects. How do you like the technosports vs. riffes? Any difference other than price?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have been away. The Riffe shaft is more finished with no need to smooth any edges such as the line hole or fin tabs. Also the edges of the barb on the Techno shaft is very sharp and needs a little work. The prices on all shafts have gone up this year or will go up shortly. :waterwork. Because all the manufactures are doing this I think it is do to increased cost of material. If you do not mind doing the touchup work the Techno shafts will be fine. I have been using both and taking fish with both :)
Please forward me the muzzle pic my memory is fuzzy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT