• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First longfins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

marin2004

Apr 12, 2004
Hello freedivers!

I ve been in the water for almost 15 years , with mask and fins, diving and having fun, and now i want to go into freediving a bit more serious.
by the way I'm 25 now.
what kind of long fins would you suggest for me, beginner in serious freediving, but very experienced in depth up to 40 feet.
i'm 5'11 (182 cm) , 170 ( 77 kg ), my foot is size 43-44.
I prefer using fins with bear foot.
I'm looking for something good, but not professional level and not too expensive.
Here, in my hometown i can get OMER, SPORA SUB and BEUCHAT fins.

Thanx

Marin

All those are good companies that make good fins. Go with the one's that seem to fit comfortably with no pressure areas, even in the store. A little loose is better than too tight, trust me.
They should be less than 100$! If not, look at the scubastore shop here at DBlue.
Welcome to DB and have fun,
Erik Y.

So if they are a little loose would you suggest the accessories for holding the fin to your heel?

Losing a fin can really ruin your day, so fin keepers are good. But also you don’t want any slop in the pocket, because it translates to loss of power and propulsion. If you already have the fins, trying getting thicker socks. Since your in Oregon, warmer feet should be blessing! ;) Where do you dive in Oregon?
don

I'm just getting started but hope to begin diving some small coves here and there by summer's end. Will be diving for abs in August in N. Cal. for the first time. Can't wait. :D

I've got my wetsuit covered and can pick up a mask/snorkel anytime.

The fins are posing me a problem though because I'm worried about ordering the wrong size and/or buying the wrong type for my foot. There are few dive shops around here and the few there are know jack about freediving. Where do I get the finkeepers?

fleedermouse,
Where do you live in Oregon? I lived most of my life in Eugene. There used to be a dive shop in Springfield owned by John Cheeseman who did freediving. Cliff Etzel lives in Eugene. Mike Hollingsworth, the owner of Eugene Skin Diver is a really cool guy. I never talked to him about freediving, but I would be surprised if he didn’t know some stuff on it.

If you can’t connect with some freedivers in your area, tell us what your feet size is and we can try to advise you here. It’s a pain ordering the wrong size, so ask around as much as you can first.
don

I'm in Portland.

Thanks for those references. Looks like Cliff Etzel teaches some classes in this region.

My size is a Men's 10 U.S.
It seems that I can always order a 10 through catalogs for shoes, boots, skates, etc. and have whatever I order fit just about perfectly. I'm thinking now that the 42-44 is going to be the size to order but will probably wait for some more feedback first.

You might want to try on the fin you intend to order (if possible) before ordering. I wear a size 12 shoe (although it is a little loose on me). But I just found out that if I'm buying Sporasub Variant, size "9-10" is what fits me, and if I"m buying Cressi Gara, "8-9" is what fits me. They're all sized a little different is my guess, and a perfect fitting fin is more important than a perfect fitting shoe, in my opinion.

I wear 9.5 or 10 shoes and use a 42-44 Omer pocket with a 3mm or 5mm sock. I hear Sporasub run about the same. I have worn a 42-44 PICASSO with a 3mm sock too. These three companies have a good reputation for good pockets and fins.
don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT