• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Pole Spear.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dr.Clean

May 9, 2010
I've never tried spearfishing but I figured since I've been doing a good bit of freediving lately I might wanna give it a shot. Anybody have suggestions for a first polespear?

I started with a JBL polespear and it works alright. Not great, but if you fill it with water, as suggested, it's got a little bit more of a punch. I'll be getting my Crist and Gat-ku here in about a week or so and let you know how I like them.

Unless you are diving in water with almost no visibility, go with a 6 to 7 foot spear with 3-prong head (tips are in a triangle shape), and don't be surprised with how hard it can be. Takes a while to get used to using one. The brand isn't particularly important, and it can be fiberglass or aluminum.

Unless you are diving in water with almost no visibility, go with a 6 to 7 foot spear with 3-prong head (tips are in a triangle shape), and don't be surprised with how hard it can be. Takes a while to get used to using one. The brand isn't particularly important, and it can be fiberglass or aluminum.

Okay, thanks. I plan on spearing in local rivers(Monongahela, Youghagheny, Allegheny, Ohio) and maybe lake erie sometime. So, no really excellent visibility. Also, I'm not sure if Tackle Unlimited is found outside of my area. But, it's a pretty large fishing, bait, and tackle store. So, do you think they would have any polespears? Or should I order them online?

i have a jbl 6' pole spear and I'm happy with it, there are others out there but the dive shop i use only sells jbl for 65 bucks you really cant beat it

I found one on the internet for $35(6', JBL) and the tip is another $13 or something like that.

Dr. Clean,

Sorry I lost track of the thread.

Did you get the JBL?

It should work fine.

Unfortunately I did not. I think I am going to order the 4 foot. Or, the Ray Odor 6 foot, that comes in 3 separate pieces that way i can switch between 4 feet, and 6.

For what its worth, i'd go with the ray odor polespaer as it doesn't have a taper towards the tip. The first polespear i had was one i made from a piece of copper pipe and a 4 prong head (see pic.). its about 5' long with no taper. the band was purchased from a dive store and i fashioned a wishbone from a coat hanger and a couple of beads. a bit of skateboard grip tape made it a lot less strain keeping it at full load until the very end of my breath hold.

I had many good bass using this spear so i thought i would upgrade to a proper one. i chose the JBL 6' breakdown polespear as it looked the best i could afford but when i used it i was disappointed. i found that the taper towards the tip (where you grip) caused drag when i released my hand. i was used to just having to release my grip enough to let the polespear go but with the taper you have to spring your hand fully open so it doesn't drag through your hand as it gets thicker. springing my hand open caused slight deviance in the aim meaning more poor shots and lost fish. I also found the 4 prong had a lot more holding power than the jbl paralyzer tip.

Just my two pence worth.......hope it helps.

Chris

Ps. i know it looks a state now but i just dug it out of the shed for this photo after about 4 years.

Last edited:
My Ray Odor visibly hits really hard. I happily recommend it. I use the 6' spear with 2 1/2' extension to reach out, and it really does.

I still haven't gotten my Gat-ku, as I am apparently still waiting on the paralyzer tip to be completed. I have however, received my Crist spear. 6 foot with 18 inch flopper top. I've got to say, it is far and above a better spear than my JBL. It has better range, and although it's much heavier, it still hits with the same speed but with the force of a freight train.
The bungee is quite a bit thicker so it takes a bit more energy to keep it stretched. I could go out for 3 hours with my JBL without much problem. My first trip out I only went out for 1.5 hours. After that I found it hard to grip as my right hand and forearm were wasted.

6 feet long is kind of short,i think the best length is longer than 8 feet long, personally I like a 10 footer. but for night diving i use a 6 footer. Basically pole spears work the same as guns longer equals more range. However longer doesn't limit you in the same way a gun does. you can still shoot against the reef in holes ect. ect.

I was looking to buy a pole spear for lake fishing (have used a 6' with 3 pronged before and enjoyed) and was looking at these as a less expensive option.
[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360213938744&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=d70459601280a0e201d6c836ffb70dd0&itemid=360213938744&ff4=263602_263622]4-Piece 64" Skin & Scuba Diving Aluminum Travel Spear - eBay (item 360213938744 end time Jul-30-10 14:44:46 PDT)[/ame]

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160426744507&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=d70459601280a0e201d6c836ffb70dd0&itemid=160426744507&ff4=263602_263622]3 Piece 6' Sectional Fiberglass Polespear, Tip, Case - eBay (item 160426744507 end time Jul-21-10 20:40:46 PDT)[/ame]

Don't know much about either. Was really looking at the ray odor, but do not want to spend the extra 30 on the 3 pronged (anyone know some decent less expensive 3 pronged heads?)

Anyways, i was in the same boat as you pretty much and figured id piggy back your thread, hope thats ok

However longer doesn't limit you in the same way a gun does. you can still shoot against the reef in holes ect. ect.

I wouldn`t say that. swimming through the reefs near me when I`m stalking fish and have to change direction in a narrow passage or when I`m hunting among the tetra pods and cant get the angle quick enough
because of the long spear. Longer is generally better but not always.

I wouldn`t say that. swimming through the reefs near me when I`m stalking fish and have to change direction in a narrow passage or when I`m hunting among the tetra pods and cant get the angle quick enough
because of the long spear. Longer is generally better but not always.

Absolutely That's why i use a 6 footer at night. the shorter length also helps shooting into holes at awkward angles however i would say that there is almost no need to go any shorter than 6 feet
although 5 feet is a popularly manufactured length. and could be usefull in very awkward holes or very poor visability where any extra length is unnessisary.

unless your poking for Tako (octopus) in which case you only need about 2 feet to "encourage" them to come out of a hole. having a short three prong on your float means you don't need to use a loaded gun to poke for them.

stay tuned for a write up comparing and contrasting spearguns with pole spears

i would say that there is almost no need to go any shorter than 6 feet
although 5 feet is a popularly manufactured length.

Well, I'm sure the Mon-River probably has less visibility at anytime, then wherever you're using your 8 footer.

i don't know about that i dive at night, right by a river mouth, vis can be as low as 3-4 feet

however if that is the only place you'll be diving a shorter polespear will be a good idea

i was merely saying that a longer three prong is much more versatile

Last edited:
land and sea fibre glass polespear i started with this polespear while i lived in australia and still use it whilst in the uk hasnt failed at all aswell as being accurate light and deadly even though i mainly use a gun i think polespears are much more fun aswell.

I've recently given up the gun and gone back to a pole spear. First, it's 100% legal in Japan to use. Second, I like the challenge. I have a JBL three piece 7'er that's about 8' with the slip tip extension. In the rocks I use the three prong stunner, but under the pier and in deep water I use the slip.

My problem was no hit power at range. Filling it with water like JBL says to do makes it heavy, but very slow. It's like "reeeeeaaaady, heeeeeers the wiiiind uuup...".

I added an extra JBL band, and now it works great. I also have a home-made one, and am thinking of buying the Manny Puig one from Omer.

Here's the original band set up.

jblband.JPG

And the modified one.

jblbandmod.JPG

Dude! Where do you live on Oki? I'm hitting the Sunabe sea wall today! South steps.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT