• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First spearfishing session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joshchap29

Jul 16, 2018
Spent the weekend on call at work so kept checking the spot i want to be. All throught the weekend the sea was amazing cyrstal clear waters and not a ripple in sight. So got my gear together and set off, on arrival i note the wind has picked up and the was a fair bit of tide pushing through. Once i had navigated myself down the cliff i get ready to suit up, quilckly realising i had forgetten any means of suit lube! :eek: so threw my suit into the sea in an attempt to make it as slipery as i could. Eventually after a good struggle i was in and ready to go i set off adoring the lovely clear water working my way further out, after about 20 mins of looking around the shallows, no fish, i find myself around 150, 200 yards off shore where there is roughly 3-4 meters of visibility and still no fish to be found. I try a few dives after trying to relax as much as i can to f8nd i can only stay down for around 15-30 seconds, quite a disapointment after holding for 2mins on the couch, guess the excitment takes its toll. I start to work my way back to the shallows to look for crabs and lobsters to be greated by 3 seals who were very interested in me. I kept working my way in realising i wasnt going to see any fish while the seals were around i concentrsted on looking for crabs and trying to stay down. The highlight of the session has to when i was floating on the surface just gently kicking my legs and the a seal swims parrallel to me on the bottom just looking up at me with a big grin on it face almost rubbing it in that i was on the surface. All in all a good first dive, cant wait to.get back in !

Hi all, I am new to the sport, and shot my first fish tonight, an amazing experience, nice size grey mullet off porthoustock cornwall. it became quite apparent I need to be better equipped. Having no gloves made holding the fish for it's last rights difficult, are there recommendations of what gloves work best. thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you had fun on a bun.

Harbor seals are like water-puppies. But I would still wet my wetsuit if one ever snuck up on me in the deep-end.
And don't get me started on leopard seals. We all saw "Blue-planet" from BBC. Those bastards are scary AF

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT