• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First speargun choice, can't decide what to get.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iddieni

Jun 10, 2021
Hi, first post here, newbie from Malta. Lately I have been thinking in getting into spearfishing and finally have decided to buy the needed equipment for a newbie.

The gun will be used for coastal waters in depths up to 6m. Have been reading a bit and have about spearguns and have narrowed it down to the 2 below. Basically I have decided on a close muzzle, 75cm aluminum sling gun. I would have preferred a stainless steel trigger mechanism but not sure what other guns I can look at. Budget is around 90€ to 100€

Cressi Moicano
Cressi Comanche Rail

I have tried to search more info on the 2 above, but couldn't find anything specific on them, so your help is very much appreciated.

Reactions: Mr. X
Apnea ST or Whaler?
Omersub and Beuchat should have equivalent models too.

You don't need a metal trigger. Plenty of big game fish World Records caught with Rob Allen railguns. Watch Rob's YouTube video on why.

My main spearguns are Omer's with plastic triggers and I wouldn't change that, they're great. My new Apnea spearguns have metal triggers, which are fine too.

I tend to avoid Picasso gear, Mares spearguns (which look great) and Cressi shark fin spears, which have failed one or two forum members. "Your mileage may vary".

Apnea ST or Whaler?
Omersub and Beuchat should have equivalent models too.

You don't need a metal trigger. Plenty of big game fish World Records caught with Rob Allen railguns. Watch Rob's YouTube video on why.

My main spearguns are Omer's with plastic triggers and I wouldn't change that, they're great. My new Apnea spearguns have metal triggers, which are fine too.

I tend to avoid Picasso gear, Mares spearguns (which look great) and Cressi shark fin spears, which have failed one or two forum members. "Your mileage may vary".
Thanks for your suggestions. I will have a look into them. I read that some people had issues with some Cressi triggers, so that is why I was skeptical to get the Cressi.

There are too many guns to choose from and most of the website lack proper specifications, making the search harder :eek:

Reactions: Mr. X
I like the look of some of the more recent models from Beuchat, with red handles and rubbers. Perhaps it's just the unusual colour scheme :D. Hero and Evil? The specs. looked good to me.

The Apnea specs, especially for the price, seemed very good - so I bought 2. The Cressi Pacific variants (Comanche and ...?) looked good to me too until I read about the Cressi sharkfin spears. I was keen to try sharkfin notches at the time but that would no longer be a factor for me (e.g. Cressi sharkfin spears break so not necessarily stronger and sharkfins cause additional hydrodynamic drag on the spear, both on the gun and in flight).

Rob Allen Scorpio seems quite a good, quality choice for beginners. Not sure if they offer 75cm, so might need to chose between 70 and 80cm. Depends on visibility but, of the two, I would go for the 80 for the Med. I think there is a choice of 1x16mm or 2x14mm rubbers these days, both are good choices.

Last edited:
Prohibited spam link removed.
While the hunt for the best spear gun technology has been fun, today many of the most serious undersea hunters have returned to wooden, band-powered guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharkey
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT