• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

first time spearo moving to hawaii

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tyler knaut

Aug 28, 2016
Hello, let me start off by saying i hate starting new threads becasue 99% of the questions on here were already answered. I seem to cant get a solid answer and ended up getting much more confused the more and more i search this sight.

I just moved to maui, hawaii and have always wanted to get into spearfishing. i bought most of the equipment like my rob allan tuna 110cm spear gun, wetsuit, reel for the gun, fins, ect.

I will be doing off shore fishing and reef fishing. i will get into deep blue spearfishing when i get more experience. so for now, lets just talk about reef spearfishing

What i am confused on is the process of spear fishing. let me elaborate.... when i dive down and spear a fish i know i swim to the surface so i can breathe (duhh) and just let the fish run if i didnt get a good kill shot till it runs out of strength and i can reel it in? i keep seeing people talk about float lines and the amazing capability of being able to drop your gun. Is that something that is that big of a deal i should worry about? why would i want to drop my gun. since i have a reel i wont have to fight the fish so i should be able to just swim back to the top correct? 90% of these forums talk about kelp. that isnt something that i will have to worry about.

Is it worth me buying a floatline? i guess im asking exactly what the process of spearfishing is. like the dive down, then shot, then what goes on after the shot. do i have to stay down there, can i swim up, do i reel in, do i drop my gun....

I feel very dumb asking but i said screw it and hope to get some good help

I've never shot a fish before so take what I say as you will.

It depends on the size of the fish if you need a reel. People who use float lines usually have a breakaway system so that their gun isn't in the situation when they shoot the fish.( the line disconnects from the gun and is attached to the float line. You could also have your gun attached to the float line but I hear that's not recommended.

Dive down, stalk the bottom. Shoot the fish. Bring it up if possible. Let it tire if still strong and retrieve. Reels can get messy with entanglement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lets say i get a bad shot and I'm trying to surface, do i drop my gun and surface and potentially loosing my gun? i figured with a reel it will give me the lea way i need to still be able to hold onto my gun and still surface

I've never shot a fish before so take what I say as you will.

It depends on the size of the fish if you need a reel. People who use float lines usually have a breakaway system so that their gun isn't in the situation when they shoot the fish.( the line disconnects from the gun and is attached to the float line. You could also have your gun attached to the float line but I hear that's not recommended.

Dive down, stalk the bottom. Shoot the fish. Bring it up if possible. Let it tire if still strong and retrieve. Reels can get messy with entanglement

lets say i get a bad shot and I'm trying to surface, do i drop my gun and surface and potentially loosing my gun? i figured with a reel it will give me the lea way i need to still be able to hold onto my gun and still surface

I would never drop my gun and surface if it was not attached to something to retrieve/track it while the gun is attached to a swimming fish.

Hey mate,
I'm relatively new to spearing as well (so don't listen too intently ;) ) but here's what I got :)
If you've ever been fishing and you've put the drag on really loose and the fish runs, you'll hear a whirring sound as the fish takes line. The fish however doesn't get off scotch free, having to fight against the resistance of the reel. This is almost exactly the same in spearfishing. You shoot a fish and swim to the surface with your gun, the fish will automatically take line, but if you've got enough line (you should unless you're like crazy depth), you'll easy'll make it to the surface with your gun (and plenty of spare line) . One you're at the surface you can start using your fingers to slow down the rate of line release from the reel by placing a finger on the line if the drag is not enough (warning: do not press to hard or too long as will cut through flesh and gloves quickly). Eventually the fish will tire and you can wind him in (DO NOT USE THE REEL TO "WIND A FISH IN" as it damages the reel :) ), wind him in like you are hand line fishing until he is close enough to kill with a quick spike to the brain. Once this is over you should have a decent fish on your stringer/boat!

At the moment I use a float as it's simplicity appeals to me, I can drop my gun without worry. Hardly have to worry about entanglements. Don't really have to worry about my gun when I'm surfacing up. I can hold onto it to help fight the fish and I can hold on to have a rest when I'm desperately tired. And if I'm desperate I can store things on my little bullet float.
A few tips
The more drag you apply the quicker the fish tires.
If the reel runs out of line, you are quite literally going to go for a ride
Get to the fish as quickly as possible but don't go down and risk entanglement in the line
Even though the fish appears to be subdued some fish can surprise you with a sudden burst of speed
Reel line is tough, but is not unbreakable so don't let him get too close to those sharp reefs if you can help it!

If you've got any other questions, I'll try my best to help

Good luck and may all your fish be big ones,

Rock Shooter

However there are a few disadvantage of a float line:
It can get caught around reefs. Wrapped around your fins. AND WORST OF ALL- restrict freedom :(

But there's pros and cons of everything

Why do you feel the need to drop your gun if you have a reel? I use a float bc I don't have a reel and if my shaft is stuck in a hole or something , I can let go my gun and come up for air. Or if you catch something big you can let go the gun and hold on to the float line. I also use the float bc I don't like having the fish on my waist I'd rather have it 30ft away from me on a float. Sorry idk if I answered your question I just woke up lol

I travel to Hawaii almost every year to visit family. I am due a visit next spring/summer and if you wish we can do a few shore dives and marks that I know.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT