• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First time using a reel! When I’m rigging my new gun can I use my dyneema reel line and attach it straight to the spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lahzyspearo

Sep 27, 2020
I see a lot of tutorials and most of them attach the reel line to a mono shorting line. Can I just use the reel line as the shooting line?

You need shooting line, but shooting line can be dyneema. It might be best to get "stiff" dyneema and attach that to your reel line.

I am curious how many people use dyneema shooting line and how many mono. I suppose it depends on what the gun is for.

You need shooting line, but shooting line can be dyneema. It might be best to get "stiff" dyneema and attach that to your reel line.

I am curious how many people use dyneema shooting line and how many mono. I suppose it depends on what the gun is for.

..i am curious too . based on your personal experience, what shooting line do you use ?
and what kind of spearfishing you practice with your shooting line-set up ?

I don't see why not but it's not usual afaik, so perhaps not recommended for beginners. I saw a picture or video of somebody using just such a single line set-up this week.

The spear won't be able to pull line off the reel effectively. So you shouldn't expect to run the spearline from the reel, you'll still need a single wrap or double-wrap of line around the line-release as normal. That section of your reel line will be released by your trigger and act as the spear-line.

It has the appeal of simplicity but lacks the flexibility of a separate spearline. For example, if you want to switch to a float-line or break-away rig & float-line or move the reel to a different speargun.

Also, unless hunting very large fish, you'd likely use 1.8-2mm Dyneema for the single line approach you suggest. For various reasons, I prefer 1.5-2mm monofilament for spearline and 2-3mm polyester paracord for reel-line.

Last edited:
I don't see why not but it's not usual afaik, so perhaps not recommended for beginners. I saw a picture or video of somebody using just such a single line set-up this week.

The spear won't be able to pull line off the reel effectively. So you shouldn't expect to run the spearline from the reel, you'll still need a single wrap or double-wrap of line around the line-release as normal. That section of your reel line will be released by your trigger and act as the spear-line.

It has the appeal of simplicity but lacks the flexibility of a separate spearline. For example, if you want to switch to a float-line or break-away rig & float-line. Also, you'd likely use 1.8-2mm Dyneema for the single line approach you suggest. I prefer 1.5-2mm monofilament for spearline and 2-3mm polyester paracord for reel-line.

I've done it but that last paragraph captures the disadvantages. I guess you could just cut if off the shaft if you wanted to switch to a break-away rig. You wouldn't be losing much line. But the main problem is that dyneema thin enough to be suitable as shooting line is too thin to use as reel line.

Reactions: Mr. X
Another issue to consider is if/when you shoot the shaft through the fish and it is "stuck" on the shooting line. It is very beneficial to be able to disconnect the shooting line from the reel line in order to remove the fish.

Also, the stiffer monofilament which is typically used on the shooting line will be less prone to tangles. Tangles can slow you down and even be dangerous. So ... typical advice would probably be to start out using a more conventional rigging system.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT