• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

first timer looking in South Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

subaholic

Apr 27, 2008
Hi,

I am looking for a good location along the South Wales Coast. I have just purchased my equipment and I am new to this. :head
I am looking at going to The Mumbles area as I have been told this is a good area (Langland & Caswell Bay). :confused:
Can anyone tell me if this is true and if possible what the vis is like at present. I am hoping to go next weekend. :friday

Welcome to the forum:) - there are some spearo's down south wales , and DB's the place to hook up with them. Im sure youll be able to squeeze some local knowledge out of them! Enjoy.

I am getting lots of welcome to the forum and Spearfishing. So I hope as I explore more areas near me (Bristol so good for getting to Wales, Dorest, & Devon). Just hoping to see a fish, as I expect I will be very lucky to spear a fish on my first outings and getting used to the new sport / hobby.

I live in South Gower. No viz at the moment. to be honest that's often a problem with us. We do have great snorkelling when there's viz, but as we're just outside one huge estuary and surrounded by several smaller ones the viz is pretty erratic.

I'm quite happy to point you to some good spots and give you the odd viz report if you like

Thank you. That would be great. I am really intrested in spearing arround the mummbles but I fear that because of the estuary and the position it could be bad for vis.

I go to Gower a lot but like Draenog says it's a bit unreliable for good vis. I've been around Port Eynon which wasn't bad, and I think there are a few other places on the south side that would be good.

Having said that, I live in Bristol and I'm gonna try and get down to Dorset and Cornwall instead, as the vis is usually better.

Alex

P.S I would not recommend Mumbles itself, in the bay I doubt you'll get much vis at all, and the headland has a very strong and dangerous current - I would go to Langland instead

Last edited:
Hi Thank you for the post. I live in Bristol as well and have been down to the Dorset coast now and the Vis was real good. Current reports say vis is bad now but we have a few days of northerly winds so the vis should get a lot better.

Went in South Gower on Friday and Saturday.

Viz wasn't great, but worth getting wet. Lots of algae floating around.

Not a lot of fish around - a dogfish, shoals of sandeel, a wrasse or two. A small shoal of schoolie bass and a lovely male scorpion fish in breeding colours.

Chilly in my surfing suit that needs replacing!

Subaholic
A good spot near Mumbles is Limeslade. Head west along the rocky coast. Once had a good 15 mins swimming with a seal there!

Langland would definately be worth a shot - I grew up no 2 minutes from the beach!

Check it out on Google maps for an arial view - there a great offshore reef on the left of the beach and rocks continuing round to the right.

I used to snorkle around there, viz was good in the summer!

Hi mate, hows it going? You need a new suit!

Good thanks mate, and you?

Was hoping that this year I'd finally be able to afford a snorkelling suit (one from that Greek guy maybe?) AND a surf suit, but I'm getting married in August so things are a bit tight.

I'm going to get a new surf suit that's really toasty so it will cover both passions.

Will be over on the rock late July/ early August so look forward to seeing you then.

OK bring that camera.
I bought a one piece 3mm shorty for £18 that I use over my suit when it is really cold, might be a good idea for you?

Langland would definately be worth a shot - I grew up no 2 minutes from the beach!

Check it out on Google maps for an arial view - there a great offshore reef on the left of the beach and rocks continuing round to the right.

I used to snorkle around there, viz was good in the summer!
I seem to recall that they built a big sewage treatment works to clear up Swansea bay about 20 odd years ago. One less thing to worry about. Love that area of coast.

Hi, I am a beginner too, unfortunatly I have been out of practice since last summer. I live down by mumbles (I can get to caswell and langland in under 15 minutes) but I cant come out untill after the ninth of june, I usually dive at limeslade. Id love to join anyone who is freediving/snorkeling at any level i nthe Gower. Pelase PM me if your interested and we can sort out contact details. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT