• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First underwater camera

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Silentknight

Jul 17, 2008
Hello!

I have decided on getting myself an underwater camera for pictures/videos, something easy to use that would give decent results. And by that I mean nice-looking souvenir material, not photograph competition quality! I already own a Panasonic DMC TZ2 and I am wondering if I'd be able to get something good out of it by getting myself a housing and possibly a 'wider' lens? If not, I am considering a few options for a new camera;

I'm obviously not expecting professional like quality, as I don't really plan on spending much more than 800$ on this setup. I've looked at a nice compilation that was linked in an earlier post by Jon Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009.
There are some good 'packages' for someone like me on a budget but i've still got more questions that i'm sure you guys will be able to answer easily!

Am I better off getting a cheaper camera and housing with added wide lens and a strobe or just a more expensive camera/housing? Just how much of a difference will the lens and strobe do to my picture/video quality?

Get something that will allow the addition of a wide angle lens, but forget the strobe.

I would go with the more expensive camera and housing.. I think all housings have the option of adding to them strobes or lenses, either by cable or the light sensor..and its easy to attach a lense!
If i would choose i would by the best camera with housing you could get..last year I bout my camera..i payed 600E and now i'm planning to buy better one because it has too much noise..i think it is better to buy the best camera you can afford and buy other equipment after a while than change camera year after a year..
That's my opinion..

I bought Olimpus 8000 Tough, no housing yet since I'm planning to using in mostly close to the surface with natural light (hence no strob either).
I'm leaving for the spearfishing trip in couple of days so will bring my impressions and pictures. Specs are impressive (take for example 33 feet max depth without housing - trust me, I gonna test that!), pool test revieled good performance in good light condition and convenient handling (without gloves so far).
It is not as versatile camera as Canon G10 (say less my beloved Canon 5D) but I can drop it in the water or in the sand without worring too much and I would drop dead if I do that to 5D! Still - 12 megapixcel, 28 mm wide lens, gistogramms and optical image stabilization doesn't sound too shabby. Oh yes and movies too (no HD as far as I remember).
Thourough review will follow...

Remember to place your photos here!
The camera isn't the most important factor! You can make great phots without SLR camera!
Best wishes with you new camera!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT