• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question First underwater swim today

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just did a 1:40 hold then 1 breath then 1:35 then 1 breath then 1:30 each hold 5 secs less than the previous to 1:00. It was pretty difficult. Maybe tired from yesterday. It’s so mental. Most people think we are insane by the way

Grarena, you are doing very well. For us "old guys" ( I'm 69) continuous training gets to be required. Starting where you are, you will see substantial improvement. Couple of things that might help. For dynamics, a neck weight is much more effective in balancing your buoyancy than a weight belt. You can make your own, find a source of lead pellets (dive store). some bicycle inner tubes, plastic backpack buckles and electric tape, easy. Lots of videos on how to put it together. If you mostly train dry, the new book, "Longer and Deeper" by Yaap Verboss is an outstanding investment. He goes into the physiological "why" as much as the "how to". If you really get into it, Eric Fattahs ebook is another great investment for the serious diver.

Apnea walking is excellent training for real diving, just walk on something soft. As you start to push it, the odds of falling down rise fast.

New Orleans has to be my favorite city. Oh, the food! And everybody ought to experience Mardi Gras once. I grew up in Mobile and thought I knew Mardi Gras, until I went to New Orleans, oh my!

Oh yeah, old is an advantage in this sport. Slower metabolism means longer breath holds I'm a whole heck of a lot better diver than I was at 20.

Just a thought, you probably have extremely high tolerance for C02. Thats nice, but it also means that you probably have a much narrower safety margin than divers with less tolerance. The only open water BOs I've had the displeasure of playing rescue diver for have been divers with high co2 tolerance. Be careful and make sure to have a buddy in the water when you are training. Finding a course would also be a very very good idea.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy for all that good advice. I own a home in destin and live in New Orleans. Mobile right between them. You are right. No one does Mardi Gras like we do lol. Food too. I will look into your suggestions my friend. Gregg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT