• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish Finder works only without moving???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A bit of topic, but has anybody tried to use a fish finder to monitor a freediver during his dive? Might be quite useful for safety reasons - to see at what depth the diver is currently, and to indentify possible problems by the buddy from the surface.

That might be possible but I wouldn't rely on it for safety. My previous experience with a high-end model was that we could track scuba bubbles but would have been very difficult discerning an individual diver not blowing bubbles.

could you pls suggest to me a furuno model?

I took a look at their website but am too ignorant to make a choice

our see (central adriatic) is absolutely NO DEEP (unfortunately)

we usually fish in max 30 feet

I will use for a max depth of 60-90 feet

only on holiday it can be more more

if you could suggest a simple and cheap model and possibly also another one with an incorporated gps I'd be very grateful

tks a lot

emidio, italy

Hiya

Coming from a commercial fishing background, having and being able to use a decent echo/fish-finder is extremely important. I've used many makes, ranging from entry level units to top of the range units from manufacturers such as Garmin, Lowrance, Eagle, Hummingbird, JRC, Koden, Furuno, Nav-man, etc

As mentioned before, placement of the transducer is critical for the best performance on a unit. For spearfishing purposes, where a spearo is mainly looking for reef and structure, not really schools of fish, any entry level unit will work well. How-ever, once you start needing to find pelagics and schools of fish, a colour unit is definitely a better choice.

I've used the Garmin 120 (pre-decessor of the 140) and wasn't very impressed with it. Similar to their entry level unit, so not really worth the extra money.

I can HIGHLY recommend ANYTHING from the FURUNO make. Their LS4100 is a fairly in-expensive entry level unit, but works BRILLIANTLY. It shows squid on the bottom and fish, flat on the bottom, EXTREMELY well for a monochrome unit!!

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

'A bit of topic, but has anybody tried to use a fish finder to monitor a freediver during his dive?'

If the story is true, they use a system like that in New Zealand and it works OK. Maybe Andy or Ant will check in with a report.

Aloha
Bill

'A bit of topic, but has anybody tried to use a fish finder to monitor a freediver during his dive?'

If the story is true, they use a system like that in New Zealand and it works OK. Maybe Andy or Ant will check in with a report.

Aloha
Bill

I'd be interested to know how that works.

I have the Garmin 7412 with GT51 transducer and I am absolutely delighted with its performance - this unit does not tell lies and is much better than a hds10 that I previously had. I have found fish to 439m (deepest I have been) and many great soundings 300 - 350m. I get good bottom readings at up to 120m at speed.

Reactions: Mr. X
Garmin Striker 4, undoubtedly sits in the top position for being the perfect fish locator available in the market. Talking of the gadget, it has got a compact and sleek design. On the other hand, it has got this wide-view LCD display that is helpful in showing the sonographic images. Garmin Striker 4 really is a jack of all traders in terms of locating and scanning the hunting area and is under 200$. It can become a good hunting buddy of yours for sure.

Reactions: Mr. X
A bit of topic, but has anybody tried to use a fish finder to monitor a freediver during his dive? Might be quite useful for safety reasons - to see at what depth the diver is currently, and to indentify possible problems by the buddy from the surface.
I guess this is a very old thread but I can provide a tentative answer. I'm not normally in the boat with divers under the boat, but last summer I had an engine problem and threw anchor right where the divers were working. I was surprised that I could see the divers on my Garmin GPS sounder. Of course I had to be in the boat to see the sounder, so I'm not sure how useful it would be for safety. I would have to relay the info to another diver in the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT