• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish population in Cyprus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
In this month two shark were caught by local net fishermans. one weighted 400kg and 3.5 meter other is 200kg. I don't know what species they are but locals here call them "camgöz". Anyway i belive that they are grey reef sharks. This week i saw a picture of 2 meter Spanish(King) Mac. that cought on Kuwait. It is in spearfishing.com gallery. May be Cyprus is not LESS (Fish+Shark) place:hmm

Last edited:
They were not like neither. The picture quality were bad in the news paper and there was blood also. If i remmember correctly the first one that i saw has teeth. Its body shape was identical with cowshark but i didn't see any teeth on its mouth while looking the pic. on fishbase.

I found something else in fishbase. http://ichtyonb1.mnhn.fr/ComNames/CommonNameSearchList.cfm

May be they were one of them. Just checking....

The second one cought just 3 km away from shore.

It would be quite unsual to see a Reef Shark weighing more than 100kg or so... Thats if your reef sharks are the same as ours here in Oz...:hmm

Originally posted by Murat

The second one cought just 3 km away from shore.

Most of the Sharks I catch here are in less then 3m of water, 10m from shore.

As for Kuwaiti Spanish MAck (or Cannad in Arabic), we have lots in the gulf, a 2m one is a prize catch, but the rigs here (arabian Gulf) are loaded with Shark and Mack.

Did you notice all those Kuwaiti hunter were on scuba? :naughty

It seems that we also have fishes and sharks. I want to see both of them i hope it doesn't bite my ass:D

Originally posted by Amphibious

Did you notice all those Kuwaiti hunter were on scuba? :naughty

No.

Hunting while scuba here is big crime. But its hard to detect coz most of the country is coast line, and we don't have much officer to check everywhere. Especially if they dive from offshore there is no way to catch them coz as i know there is no water patrols regullary checking offshore. I dunno may be i don't aware of them:duh

hi

That Pic of that mac in Kuwaiti is a beast, that thing is huge. The biggest caught on LINE in our local area was 161lbs, maybe that pic is decieving cos of how close it is.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT