• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish Sauce??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
OK - I used to but this amazing stuff on my rice when I was in Thailand/Singapore/Hong Kong. It was plain old Fish Sauce, but had peppers and stuff in it.

Does anyone know what else they put in besides the chopped peppers? I tossed in a bunch of green hot peppers (thin sliced), and I'm looking for the red ones...

anything else? Iya??

Willer

Sorry for the late reply...
Fish sauce is popular in Thailand but not in Indonesia. It also finds its way into Chinese cooking, thus Singapore and Hong Kong and also Vietnamese food. I don't really know about it but it is said to be a part of many cooking ingredients. In America or Canada, if you go to the local China Town or little Vietnam ( if there is any ), I am sure you can find it.

If i am not wrong, the popular white rice noodle ( Poh something ) of the Vietnamese use a lot of this as part of the serving.

The typical Chinese food serving where u find the slice green chilli or red ones with dark brown sauce, those are soya sauce, not fish sauce.

yeah - I've had both - the Soy & Chilli's, and Fish Sauce and Chilli's. I really like the stuff on white rice with my fish.

I found some Phillipino stuff the other day - pretty good - really strong. smells like hell - tastes like heaven!

I found a shop up here that sells Durang (spelling?) Fruit. Those big spiny melon things from Thailand? who would have thought... Northern BC...

Thanks Iya...

The fruit is called durian, that is regarded a heavenly fruit by the Thai and popular in Asia. Many westerner do not like the smell though. Thai ones are the best. Thick, small seed and lots of flesh. Do not consume alcohol with durian, it is a bad combination.

YEP, all these sauces a great. There are a few types. If you like and can consume hot chilly, u are lucky because many of Asia's finest cuisine are hot and spicy. Even Chinese food from Sze Chuan region in China is spicy. Thai food too are mainly spicy. Most Chinese food in America or Europe have been "modified" to suit local toungues.

Those grouper of yours is done Chinese way of steam fish, you will crave for more.

What I do with my fishes are always bringing them to either Chinese, Thai, Japanese or western restaurant after the hunt, depending on the species. We then invite our families and non participating spearos for the meal. A great gathering. For a cooking fee these restaurants will cook for us.

Enjoy

The best Thai fish sauce is the bottle with the dried squid on it, called squid brand.

Go to an Asian store and get the Thai red peppers, they are absolutely the best.

I got lucky, my in laws own an Asian vegetable farm:)

Amphibious,

Philipino = Filipino Durang= Durian...close though.

peace

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT