• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish stringer: bad loss!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am new to this so I'm hoping someone can clarify. The different options are: 1)stringer tied directly to wieght belt/diver, 2) stringer tied to a tow line and towline tied diver, 3) speed stringer to gun and gun attached to float via towline and 4) stringer attached to float and float attached to diver via tow line.

Is it a hassle dragging around a float? Isn't it always pulling on you?
Hi Thorton,

I've not come across #2 before - I would think that might be very dangerous.

You missed the method I use (#5?), which is steel cable RA stringer attached to the back of my float, with the float line attached to the spear gun rather than me (South African style). This would be the only set-up (other than a platt/planche/boat/yak to store fish on) I would consider using in sharky waters. I wouldn't want to be attached to anything a shark might take. Also, as Blaiz points out, it helps stop the fish spoiling - an issue even in cloudy, rainy Britain (it is beautiful here today by the way, tides are good too. Unfortunately, I won't be spearing today:(].

Last edited:
I am new to this so I'm hoping someone can clarify. The different options are: 1)stringer tied directly to wieght belt/diver, 2) stringer tied to a tow line and towline tied diver, 3) speed stringer to gun and gun attached to float via towline and 4) stringer attached to float and float attached to diver via tow line.

Is it a hassle dragging around a float? Isn't it always pulling on you?

Youve got the gist of it except Im not sure what you mean by #2 (like Mr. X said). I use a hard lifeguard flot (kinda looks like a torpedo w/handles) and its very streamlined. You can feel it but it doesnt add much drag. When I get to an area that I would like to check out I just anchor my float w/ a little 1lb weight (possible because I have a reel on my gun) I will not dive w/out a float now as I explained in a previous experience. (Check out "My New Haircut" in the beginer hunting threads. Sharks are one concern but boats are another and as far as im concerned way more dangerous. The only hassle with a float and Kui is that the fish add a little more drag. But drag due to a good catch isnt really a reasonable downfall.:blackeye

My set up goes something like this. I don't think I've ever been in the water with less than two other spearos before. I guess I'm lucky (sometimes its annoying though). Since I didn't really have the resources to build three or four or five floats, I just build one central float that we put out in deeper water to warn boats off. Thankfully they are all fishermen boats so they are pretty aware of divers. There is a steel cable fish stringer on the float as well as a medium dive bag to put stuff in (water, tips, pliers, gloves, booties). Besides that central float I also have a mono stringer on me to stow my fish and give me a change at a another shot on the way back to the float.

complaints...
The float is never real close when you need it. Sometimes I really wish I had a convinient way to tow it behind me. Every time I've tried that is tugs and tangles me.

Blaiz, could you clarify how the reel on your gun allows you to anchor your float. I thought the line on the reel was attached to the spear and allowed one to real the spear in, am I wrong? How does the reel work, what is it for and what is the line attached to?

Blaiz, could you clarify how the reel on your gun allows you to anchor your float. I thought the line on the reel was attached to the spear and allowed one to real the spear in, am I wrong? How does the reel work, what is it for and what is the line attached to?

Sorry, after I read what I wrote I thought that might confuse someone. By that I mean that the reel enables me to shoot large fish w/out a float. Alot of divers in hawaii use a float attached to the back of their gun (via tag/float line) or on a breakaway system and therefore no need for a reel. When a fish is shot they are able to let go of there gun and the fish will be attached to the float therefore enabling the diver to reach the surface and carry on the fight with the float line and float.

My float has a 100ft float line and I have a 1 lb weight. When Im swimming I attach the float to my gun as its easier and if I see a fish I can take a drop and not worry about the line. If I find a spot I think I might want to be at for a while I take the floatline off of my gun, attach the weight to the FL, and drop it in the reef. The reel is just another way to land large fish w/ out a float. Essencially the float is there to store fish and warn boats.

You are correct about the reel. It is mounted a little forward of the handle and the line goes through a stainless loop at the muzzle of my gun and is then attached to 2 wraps of mono shooting line. I also have a bungee inbetween this connection. Many reel users feel you dont need the bungee as the reel is there to give the fish "play." I like the bungee because when I know Im going to be shooting smaller game I can lock the reel and now the bungee lets the fish play. This is just so that a smaller fish cant peel off a bunch of line and cause a hassle. quicker reloading as well.

Hope that clears a little up for you:)

Last edited:
complaints...
The float is never real close when you need it. Sometimes I really wish I had a convinient way to tow it behind me. Every time I've tried that is tugs and tangles me.

What type of float do you use? I know that pulling my life guard float isnt much of a problem at all. I also like the added safety of something to hold on too if I get tired or seasick or have a SWBO experience. I have experienced all of these and I am very glad I had my float close to me on all occasions.

I could see how towing a dive bag w/ stuff in it could add a lot of drag. I have hooked a bag of squid to my float for chum once and it felt as if I was towing a parachute.

Have you ever thought about having your central float for all divers and then a personal float? Also you say that you dont like getting tangled in the lines... are you using float lines? I use a DIY float line that I made stringing 250lb mono through clear vinyl fish tank tubing. There is a heavy duty swivel and tuna clip on either end and is sealed w/ silicone. It doesnt get tangled easy and floats really well keeping it on the surface and out of the way.

This may give you a better idea of what it is im talking about:)

Attachments

• doving float.jpg
    doving float.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 162
My float is a modified boogie board. It actually creates very little drag and it quite light. (see it here) The thing could probably float 100 lbs (40 Kgs?) if it had to. Its big enough for a 180 lbs dude to boogie board on. The pulling is probably because I didn't have enough line rigged up to it. It was about 30 feet (10m). I hadn't considered using a different type of line though, does it really make a ton of difference? Is it the positive buoyancy or non-twistyness of it that helps?

Nice float BTW. It looks like you ripped that one off a spearo website, but if yours is close to that, nice job.

Blaiz's lifeguard can is an old reliable stand-by. I tried stringer to float, and some of the depths we dive the up/down speed stringer but wasn't too convinced and went back to my old method of "fish on belt" but with a mono line rather than SS cable...I've used this setup for almost 20 years (I use to stuff the fish in my rashguard, well err...ummm 20 yrs ago they were tights:t back in the day). I always Ike jime my fish as soon as they are shot and usually will gut them within 5 minutos after stringing (2 good things about gutting aside-from instant chum-it streamlines the fish-in some of the depths we dive the contant up/down causes the air bladder to inflate- and it cools them off) I think I've mentioned it before, but really all these methods are well proven, just a matter of what you feel most comfy with. Although I carry my catch on me I have never ever had a shark come after me or any similiar encounter (great now watch me got eaten roflnext time I go out). As for the float I attach it to my gun, and use it as an aid to hustle bigger fish speared, and warn off boaters (yeah right:blackeye). I have been playing around with a few designs and this particular float has worked amazing for reef hunting...its light, zero drag, carries the essentials and tells boaters where ye be. I don't use a float line when reef hunting I use weedwhacker mono (same for my stringer) I like this thin material (zero drag) more than a floatline or polyrope...thats my 2 cuban centavitos:friday

Attachments

• Guns&Gear 028.jpg
    Guns&Gear 028.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: Mr. X
Nice float BTW. It looks like you ripped that one off a spearo website, but if yours is close to that, nice job.

This picture is off of a website Hanapa'a Fishing

My float is the same exact set up. The DIY part is just the float line and my kui.... and all the ad ons to the float itself:blackeye

The vinyl tubing is a little stiffer than rope or twine so it doesnt tangle as easy. The floatation is key... one is to save from getting tangled on the reef and two a sinking line will definately scare fish... at least hear in hawaii.

... I use a hard lifeguard flot (kinda looks like a torpedo w/handles) and its very streamlined. You can feel it but it doesnt add much drag. ... The only hassle with a float and Kui is that the fish add a little more drag. But drag due to a good catch isnt really a reasonable downfall.:blackeye
Fish on a stringer does seem to attract other fish in. Consequently, I'm usually keen to get a fish on my float stringer a.s.a.p.. I imagine the effect of a belt stringer is even better (if no sharks around), as it will tend to draw the fish directly to you rather than your float & offer some fishy camoflage. A bag of crabs/scallops hanging from your float drags much more than fish, being unstreamlined (but still worth it :p).

BTW I know somebody selling their lifeguard float. I think it is still new & unused. As best I can recall it does not have handles like Blaiz's but instead it has an anchor hole at each end & some rope. It was bought specifically for spearing & diving but never got used in the end. PM me if you want it.

Fish on a stringer does seem to attract other fish in. Consequently, I'm usually keen to get a fish on my float stringer a.s.a.p.. I imagine the effect of a belt stringer is even better (if no sharks around), as it will tend to draw the fish directly to you rather than your float & offer some fishy camoflage. A bag of crabs/scallops hanging from your float drags much more than fish, being unstreamlined (but still worth it :p).

BTW I know somebody selling their lifeguard float. I think it is still new & unused. As best I can recall it does not have handles like Blaiz's but instead it has an anchor hole at each end & some rope. It was bought specifically for spearing & diving but never got used in the end. PM me if you want it.

Can you ship to Mexico? :blackeye By the time I pay for overseas shipping I might as well have just bought a nicer float off the interwebs. (not to mention that by the time it gets here I might have moved!) I think DIY will always be the way for me.

The only thing about having a stringer on your belt is it seems like the fish would get a little annoying. I don't know about the UK, but here in mexico we don't generally shoot a fish unless its at least a foot and a half long. (Although I did rig up a belt stringer for myself the other so that I can load my gun again and maybe take another shot on the way to the float).

Has anyone ever used clear 200-300 lbs mono for a float line? Or would that just be a pain in the @$$? I'm thinking about going to the local fishing shop and buying a small hard foam buoy (like for nets or whatever) and about 20m of mono for a float to drag off my speargun. Good idea or bad idea?

Last edited:
The clear mono would make a good float line as long as its inside some tubing. It is critical that your line float! especially if you are towing it around as you are diving! Pluss the mono unprotected will just get nicked and cut on the reef or rocks. They do sell a marine line that works really well as a float line. Its a blue braided line that floats. Alot of the spearos in Hawaii us it.

ok, so i'll have to figure out where to get some of that tubing.

Quick question though - doesn't the tubing scare away fish? I mean, even if you are hidden behind a rock and big floating line sort of gives away your position...

Fo what it's worth, as a relative newbie of 3 years, for UK ( well Channel Island) spearing in shallow water, with no sharks etc., I have evolved this float and stringer arrangement on the KISS principle, but also following the advice of very experienced local spearos.

Float line is washing line. The weight is a lead sash weight, which can be unclipped from the back of my weight belt to anchor it if I'm going into thick weed. The float was a small swimming float and the flag was given to me by a dive shop - it had been taken back as it broke off an Omer inflatable float. Stainless bungee straps from a marine shop.The stringer is an Omer one replaced with nylon line.

Attachments

• float.JPG
    float.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 177
  • float2.JPG
    float2.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 172
  • stringer1.JPG
    stringer1.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 177
  • stringer2.JPG
    stringer2.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
ok, so i'll have to figure out where to get some of that tubing.

Quick question though - doesn't the tubing scare away fish? I mean, even if you are hidden behind a rock and big floating line sort of gives away your position...

if you use a clear tubing and a clear mono than its not so bad. Alot of manufacturers of float lines actually make black lines. My dive buddy uses one and never takes it off of his gun. He shoots alot of fish too. I personaly anchor my float close to where Im taking drops (by close i mean no more than 20 ft away) and when I move on I grab it and keep going. I used to have a skirt (squid trolling skirt) on my weight so that I could use it to attract fish. Worked pretty well but after a few years of use it tore off and I havnt replaced it yet.

Another plus with using a personal float is that when Im diving a spot and the current is fairly strong I will anchor my float and hang on to it in order to get a proper breath up. You will be amazed at how well this works when you dive partners are breathing up and kicking at the same time, Your down time will probably double theres.

Hmm ... perhaps I'll re-think the green washing line!:)

Thats a great DIY float though! You should post it in the DIY threads. I think there is already one going with another bloks version of a float. You could add to the ideas!

Using the washing line is interestisn. Does it float? maybe if you sealed the ends it would?

if you use a clear tubing and a clear mono than its not so bad. Alot of manufacturers of float lines actually make black lines. My dive buddy uses one and never takes it off of his gun. He shoots alot of fish too. I personaly anchor my float close to where Im taking drops (by close i mean no more than 20 ft away) and when I move on I grab it and keep going. I used to have a skirt (squid trolling skirt) on my weight so that I could use it to attract fish. Worked pretty well but after a few years of use it tore off and I havnt replaced it yet.

Another plus with using a personal float is that when Im diving a spot and the current is fairly strong I will anchor my float and hang on to it in order to get a proper breath up. You will be amazed at how well this works when you dive partners are breathing up and kicking at the same time, Your down time will probably double theres.

How heavy is your anchor? I vaguely remember you saying somewhere that its only a pound, is that really enough to hold you?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT