• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fixing color of UW pix

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Randy Quimpo

Mar 13, 2002
Andrsn,
You asked me to share, here it is. I'm not much of a Photoshop guy myself, but I do know enough to cheat my way out of a fix (in this case, fix an underwater shot).

Attached here is one of the shots you had originally posted - you can see that it has too much cyan/blue in it.

From what I know, some underwater photogs attach a RED filter to get rid of some of this blue color. So what I have done is to simulate this filter in Photoshop - see my next post for details on this.

Attachments

• smpair1 original.jpg
    smpair1 original.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 393
more on fixing uw pix

I created a new layer that is plain red (red=255, green=0, blue=0) and I set its transparency to about 35%. To the left of the opacity slider is a menu that shows the transparency modes - I have selected "hue", in other words, the red layer affects only the hue of the layer beneath it. Merge the two layers down - you will notice that the pix has more red in it now. Go to image-adjust-color balance. In the sliders below, reduce the cyan and blue, and do the same and fiddle some more with the settings of the shadow and luminosity untill it looks right to you.

You can also try to Image-adjust-autolevels the resulting image - this works nicely for me most of the time (fixes the contrast range nicely)

Hope that's enough for you. I am attaching a copy of the adjusted picture for your appreciation in a later post.

Attachments

• smpair1 adjusted.jpg
    smpair1 adjusted.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 397
i'm with ya. i'll definitely be going to with a strobe soon, though.

thanks for the tip!

Never thougth about it

but even pictures taken with a good old $9 throw-away-underwater camera can turn out good for printing and viewing as compared to the actual photo - thanks for the photoshop hints.

Fred

P.S. just not good to look down and your wrist in 50' of water and see it still attached by ruberband....

Attachments

• eagle1 copy.jpg
    eagle1 copy.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
B/W is my preferred medium...

Here are the same images I took of Brett LeMaster while at the Performance Freedive Clinic

Camera: Olympus C2000Z
Housing: Olympus PT-007 housing
Lens: Inon 100 degree u/w lens
Exposure: 1/60 @ f/5.6 SHQ ISO 400

The b/w version I feel is far superior from an artistic pov. In Photoshop 6, you can manipulate images to closely match the zone system by changing the curves option from 4 points to 10 - the same as using the zone system for exposing b/w film. Works very well in my opinion.

Attachments

• lemaster_sidebyside.jpg
    lemaster_sidebyside.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 354
nice stuff

I agree Cliff, (stand up, you read correctly...) the BW is the better image from a purely visual stand. Makes me want to 86 my F1 gear and go EOS...

sven

More photoshop fixes

Here are some shots from my first try shooting underwater. The shots on the left are unretouched, the shots on the right are fixed with a simple "auto level" adjustment.

Amazing what Photoshop can do, no? Kinda nice how the turtle seems to be floating in air (with a drop shadow beneath it).

Incidentally, I cheated - these aren't open water shots. The resort I went to had a shark pool where I got shots of the shark, the turtle, and a grouper (not included here).

Attachments

• fishpix adjusted.jpg
    fishpix adjusted.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 330
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT