• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fixing turned in ankles while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Greg Rothaus

Jun 6, 2008
My ankles turn in a bit when I fin which creates inefficiencies I'd like to get rid of. I'm using Moana hybrids, which I love, and I had heard that maybe a more narrow fin with higher rails would help. I also heard that the problem could exist because of weak ankles which I suppose could be true but I run, mt. bike, swim, fin swim, weight lift with legs, etc. My legs seems pretty strong but maybe there is something else I need to do for my ankles? Also, do you think a different set of fins would make a difference? How important would that be since they are not cheap? Which fins do you think would help?

If anyone has had this problem before and fixed it, or if anyone has any advise on this at all, I'd appreciate hearing from you

Thanks,
Greg

My ankles turn in a bit when I fin which creates inefficiencies I'd like to get rid of. I'm using Moana hybrids, which I love, and I had heard that maybe a more narrow fin with higher rails would help. I also heard that the problem could exist because of weak ankles which I suppose could be true but I run, mt. bike, swim, fin swim, weight lift with legs, etc. My legs seems pretty strong but maybe there is something else I need to do for my ankles? Also, do you think a different set of fins would make a difference? How important would that be since they are not cheap? Which fins do you think would help?

If anyone has had this problem before and fixed it, or if anyone has any advise on this at all, I'd appreciate hearing from you

Thanks,
Greg

In my opinion, and experience teaching and coaching freedivers, **Most (i can't say all definitively), but most ankle bending has to do with poor technique. If youre not using the right muscles to move your fins, or are using an amplitude thats too big, you'll put a lot of unnecessary pressure on your legs. This extra pressure causes the weakest link to fail, and for most people the weakest link is the ankle, which is why it bends in..

i could give loads more detail, or just link to the article I wrote on bi-finning... So here it is;

Reactions: TimHouTX
In my opinion, and experience teaching and coaching freedivers, **Most (i can't say all definitively), but most ankle bending has to do with poor technique. If youre not using the right muscles to move your fins, or are using an amplitude thats too big, you'll put a lot of unnecessary pressure on your legs. This extra pressure causes the weakest link to fail, and for most people the weakest link is the ankle, which is why it bends in..

i could give loads more detail, or just link to the article I wrote on bi-finning... So here it is;

Well, that was about the best explanation anyone could hope for...; thank you! I see immediately that my kick is too wide. I've been trained to kick in big, wide kicks and I've always heard from Instructors, "kick wider"; no one has ever said "narrow your kicks." I think I have too much knee bend as well. Occasionally, I'll even feel like I'm "falling off the line" when my legs begin to fall to the left and I have to try and correct that (usually by kicking harder to gain momentum so I can straighten out). If you're so inclined, you can see my shoddy, rookie kicking in a YouTube video. Search "baja spearo greg rothaus", go to the 35 second mark, and you can see me dive. It's spearfishing but it's not too far off what I would do on a line.

Thank you again so much!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT