• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

float-line: floats too much

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Pretty good Idea wish bone. If I am reading your diagram correctly you get you and the gun attached to the float without any effect on the gun. If you spear a runner, drop the belt right?

timgfallon1 said:
That is great advice bro, saved me the asking. I have just one other question though. I am buying some of the RIFFE floating line, how much of it do you recommend? It makes sense to me that if your diving 60ft then you need 60ft unless you want to drag your float down and around. Does this common sense apply or am I missing something. Mahalo in advance.

you always want more. if my diving is from 40-60 ft I'll have a 100ft float line. 60-100 I have 150ft of line. it's a lot of line to have trailing behind you but makes moving around at depth so much easier.

Amphibious is right in it helps to have a reasonable amount of extra floatline! that being said take into consideration the type of spearing you do... if your normally "hunting" at 20M you will need that extra line to allow you to do so! However... if your working along a rock wall... the more line you have out... the greater your chances of getting locked up on the rocks... your post sounded pretty logical so just think about the conditions your spearing in and find a line to suit!

:)

Rob

timgfallon1 said:
Pretty good Idea wish bone. If I am reading your diagram correctly you get you and the gun attached to the float without any effect on the gun. If you spear a runner, drop the belt right?

10x mate!

Yeah, that's the idea in general. You drop it if you don't have the time to unbuckle it. As you see - you can move freely up the line, so the runner has to pass 20-30 m. before the float reaches your belt. The best thing however will be if the harder thug of the runner can detach the line from the belt - maybe by using Ali's thingie - one end to the belt and the line through the metal ring. Or something like those safety clips on the badge strings.
That way the runner will detatch the float and the line once you reach the float.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips. I was a little worried about too much line and getting wrapped up but I suppose that all comes down to line management and situational awareness.

Thanks for the help Rob, Wishbone, and Amphib.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. Just found this site a few weeks ago...

I spear in Florida and use the following system. Not as elaborate as many of the others but it works for me...

I use yellow polyethylene line as my float line (also known as ski rope), either 1/4 or 3/8 inch. It floats enough to stay out of the way and is inexpensive. I usually use 1.5 times the expected working depth (60 ft depth = 90 ft line), and have several made up for different depths. I attach them to my float with a loop of line and a VERY large ball bearing fishing swivel and a smaller one to my shooting line. When I expect to use it to fish, I attach it to my gun line with a break away rig. If I just want to attach the float to me, I tuck a loop of line under my weight belt . It holds with enough force to tow the float but can be instantly pulled out if it becomes a hazard.

By the way, excellent site...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT