• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Float Line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baker

Mar 3, 2005
What diameter string/rope do you guys use for your float lines? I have some 1/4 inch diameter rope in my garage and im wondering if that would be usable? I could see it being a little hard to cut, but i dont even carry a knife with me yet. next paycheck i have to get a knife.

I trust in 4-6mm twisted polyethene in all my spearing...be it BW or basic "reef" fishing.

Cheap, strong, floats well and easy to cut in emergency. Also, the twisted variety does not tangle so easily as the braided one.

Cheers,
M

I prefer a tube type myself, I cant get on with the polyethelene rope types at all. Baker I wouldnt dive without a knife under any circumstances, use an old kitchen knife in a makeshift holder, anything is better than nothing

I'm with Pastor, those rope ones are just way to flexible for me, they have a tendancy to wrap around my legs or get caught in my weight belt or anything else. I love my homemade pvc pipe line, its stiff enough not to wrap around everything Ive got but flexible enough not to be a nuciance. Then the water here is a bit warmer than Finland, maybe the cold would make the pvc a pain in the bum?

I have bungees, vinyl, and twisted poly float lines. While I prefer the vinyl to the poly a bit, I don't find that I have much problem with tangling of the poly. And unless you are making the vinyl yourself, the poly sure is cheaper.

Attachments

• polyfloatline.jpg
    polyfloatline.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
Mikko said:
I trust in 4-6mm twisted polyethene in all my spearing...be it BW or basic "reef" fishing.

Cheap, strong, floats well and easy to cut in emergency. Also, the twisted variety does not tangle so easily as the braided one.

Cheers,
M

aww man i wish i knew this before i went out and bought the rope. i saw twisted, braid and tight braid. i went with the tight braid because it looked the most solid and the twisted rope looked like it could unravel. ill see how the tight braid works and if its bad maybe ill try the twisted rope. i bought a couple of "dog clips" and used a fishermans knot to put them on the line. i feel pro. :)

The PVC tubing would be great if there would be no sharp rocks in the sea!
With these around, my PVC floatline turned into PVC sinkline twice.

Not my cup of tea.
The twist poly is great if the twist is tight enough. They sure do not tangle too easily.
I used braided ones in the past before going to ZA....
The tangles!!!!! Oh dear!!!
Guys in ZA used twist ropes, and they worked really well and were fast to operate.
Also, they are very cheap, allowing you to replace them often.

Use what ever works for you.

M

Mikko said:
The PVC tubing would be great if there would be no sharp rocks in the sea!
With these around, my PVC floatline turned into PVC sinkline twice.
Where did you get your tubing? From Durex?? :hmm Cant say that Ive ever heard of anyone else cutting their tube on the rocks ;) Dont you just hate it when your floatline turns into a sinkline? :eek:

Oh....I know numerous guys who have had this problem WW.
This is the main reason for no one making it commercially as far as I know.

The tubing I used was pretty solid stuff, yet it punctured in few spots and that was all it needed.

Hey, if it works for you...fine!!

One futher problem with this sort of line is when you are boat diving.
You really need to be able to wind up your line fast.
30m of PCV tubing sounds like a serious coil to me....

Cheers,
Mikko

Mikko said:
Oh....I know numerous guys who have had this problem WW.
This is the main reason for no one making it commercially as far as I know.

Except Riffe perhaps? but what would they know :ko

I'm not familiar with Riffe products......hence "as far as I know".

I have my reasons basing on trial and error to steer away from these lines.....as said...IF IT WORKS FOR YOU...FINE!!!

Over and out,

M

Mikko said:
The tubing I used was pretty solid stuff, yet it punctured in few spots and that was all it needed.

Mikko
Nothing worse than not being able to keep your line afloat, as you say probably best not to talk about it anymore :waterwork

For what its worth, I've never had a problem with cutting a Riffe float line. However, I will admit that I generally dive from a boat so its not being dragged over the rocks, but I have a lot of friends who do drag them over the rocks and don't recall any of them mentioning problems.

For my kind of diving, the biggest danger to a float line is being run over by a boat. Props cut them very easily, no matter what they are made of. For that reason, I would not recommend going with the blue color. It may seem sexy to have a blue line to match the blue water, but it sure makes it hard for the boat operator to see it. I love my orange line from Aimrite because its so easy to see. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them any more.

But getting back to where we came in- twisted poly lines are a lot cheaper to replace if they get run over.

Last edited:
leighdu said:
what are the small floats on the ends used for?

When diving in California kelp beds, we can't use a large float on the end of the line because when we dive under kelp and come up on the other side, we wouldn't be able to pull the float after us. Even if you try to swim through a kelp bed on the surface, the float will tangle hopelessly. This is why many of us prefer reels, although float lines are still popular.

Some people just use a naked line, but most like to put some sort of small float on the rear end just to serve as something to hold on to if the fish takes all the line out or to make it easier to find the end of the line in the kelp.

If possible I prefer to thread the small float on the line and leave it there even when I'm attaching a larger float for use in open water. In that previous photo and in the top example below, the pigtail swivel on the rear of the line is attached to a washer to keep it from sliding off the rear of the line, and then is pulled up into the small float to minimize the chance of catching the kelp.

Attachments

• three eggfloats.JPG
    three eggfloats.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 139
hey how long to you guys make your line? im just starting and can only dive maybe 20 ft. should i just make my line 20-25ft long?

Baker said:
hey how long to you guys make your line? im just starting and can only dive maybe 20 ft. should i just make my line 20-25ft long?

Where are you and what do you hunt? Blue fin tuna in Mexico or perch in a fresh water lake?

I guess people don't want to give up their precious anonymity by even listing a location in the world, but its hard to answer questions from no one who lives no where hunting guess what.

Baker said:
Between 50 and 100 ft. Pick a length.

oh my bad, i live in maui hawaii. and have seen mainly papio (small ulua/jack fish) uhu (parrot fish) veke (goat fish) and other small fishes along the way. and right now i can only dive about 20 ft.

50-75 ft. would be fine for you, right now. Find one you like, look for a deal perhaps. Is Hanaa-pai near you? They sell good stuff.
Dive safe, but often. :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT