• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Float lines & Float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nesim

Jul 14, 2004
Hi every one ... finally started concidering a float ... :hmm

been using reels for a while with about 40-50 m of line. and an inflatable float that was attached to my belt (this was used to hang my fish as far away as possble from me :confused: )

diving in strong currents has always put me off the idea of having a float ... is it still a good idea having a float line in 5mph + currents ....

what kind of float / roap should i use?
how long ?
should the float line be attached to the gun? or just the spear? should the reel stay on????

would appriciate all your input!

Hiya Nesim

There's many variables that effect your choice. I also prefer a reelgun when boat diving. Just so much less hassles.

Floatlines will be dependant on the area you dive in, water depth, your diving depth and size of fish. Considering that your reel carries 40-50m line, i reckon a 40m Floatline attached to a 11liter RA float with a meter bungie between Float and floatline. This would be for boat diving, hunting the same size fish you're hunting with a reelgun. If you're after larger fish, maybe attach another 11liter RA float with a pouch that contains extra line, to the first RA float.

Regarding break-away or not, if there are sharks in the area, attach your floatline directly to the shooting line, so that after you've shot your fish, you still have a gun in your hand. Great psycological comfort if there are sharks around. Also good idea to use this set-up when shooting big GT's, so that if they reef you, you only lose a spear and line and not your gun. The downside is that now you've got to swim with your gun whilst fighting your fish. Simply put your arm through the rubbers or clip the gun to your belt. Just watch that yu don't get entangled in the float line. For this type of hunting, it would be best to remove the reel from your gun.

Also watch out for your floatline tangling with the boats prop's. Happens very easily when there is plenty of fish around and you're in a hurry!!!!

For storage, wrap the float line around the gun, starting at the butt then wrap around the spear/muzzle. Keeps the boat's deck nice and tidy.

Regards
miles

thanks for the tip miles

just a question (probably a Dumb one) but what do you mean by a RA Float ?

Regards
N.

Ultimate Float-Reel Rig

Use both reel and float at the same time. Put the reel to the gun. Low profile reel should do the trick. Attach ss clips to the end of the floatline with additional float anchor. If diving in strong currents take the clip of the butt of the gun and anchor your float to the reef then you will have no problem hunting that area but you know that your float is there when you need it;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT