• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floating away during static apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ishuyi

May 13, 2017
I am a new freediver and just started last Sunday. I have a question about static apnea. When I put my head into the water and relax, I feel like I am going to float away. With a full breath, I am lifted off the pool surface with no contact and I can sense myself floating away and when I try to resist that (together with irritations from the mask: when I get contractions, the mask leaks.), I get tense up and get contractions very early into my breathhold. I don't like floating away because I also hit against my fellow freedivers who are doing static apnea next to me. I hope not to distract them.

I am wondering how much air do you guys normally pack into your lungs before you go into a static apnea? Is it a full breath? Are you totally buoyant like me? Do you also float around? I was wondering if I could pack less air so that perhaps my feet can touch the ground to anchor myself and I will be less tense? (Or does holding on to the edge of the pool help? No one else does this though...) Does anybody have a similar problem as me? My current plan is to go to the pool more often to get used to the feeling of being bobbed around by the water without resisting, and to enjoy and relax in that state (and also find a more fitting pair of mask).

Does anyone have any experience with this and tips for me? I am wondering if it has also got to do with my height. I am short and have to stand on the ledge to have my head above water. If not, I am submerged up to my nose in the water.

I take a full breath but i never pack air because im a beginner and ofc i will float around if someone dont hold on to me or i hold on to the edge of the pool. Your lungs ar full of air and that will make you float more ofc.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT