• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floatline- How to prevent tangling and how to shorten them...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice post MozSpearer. I've seen SA spearos recommend this approach before. So that's a clove-hitch that you use to hold the coils?

I tried using the Omersub's yellow line winder but it is too big & bright IMHO (makes a great winder for a kayak anchor rope though ;)) & some plastic cable winders (big & orange & smaller & green) but they are all unnecessary big & bulky for my tastes. So I cut my RA Thai curry green (olive) polyester float line in two - with one longer than the other; then I made myself several simple homemade wooden winders (about 10"/25cm long with a large notch drilled in either end & a separate hole for a simple lanyard and/or to secure the float line through) and use those instead. I usually have the whole line out these days but sometimes use a half-hitch to keep some line on the winder (not completely secure but its quick, simple & works well enough usually).

Look into the neptonics float line clutch...
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/floatline-clutch.php

Looks similar in concept to the yacht cleat that Mile uses to haul up yellow fin tuna on his big Tommy Botha game float, in South Africa. On that board, I think the line goes through a hole in the big flat float (which looks like the thicker pink wall insulation board). It's part of a system which they developed - I think they use bungee too (search the forum if you want more info on that).

Reactions: MozSpearer
Thanks Mr. X! I think it's called a half hitch knot(2x in this case). But it could probably also be called a clove-hitch knot. Do you perhaps have a f
photo of your winders? That Neptonics floatline clutch is awesome!! That would be so useful for big blue water hunting!!

Thanx for the feedback! Regards

I made my own float line.
10m of air hose made for a aquarium.

Something like this.

I think the hole in mine is about 3-4mm

and then i pull a string through it, with a vacum cleaner

Job done.
Its hardly never gets tangled and its floats.

:)

Sorry about the pictures,, but deepblue wouldn't let put in a link.

Last edited:
Hi guys, let me show you the DIY floating line that I made for myself last month. I used the materials and technique described by denmyos, with some variations.
The practice says the line works perfect.
I was even thinking to make some business :p , coz the process is really time taking.
I attach the yellow weight to my belt and when I start hunting , I drop the weight and hunt near it.
15651611299463237820564998800554.jpg
15651611873253902207500022295118.jpg
15651612254602101895200230368449.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
Danm!! I actually said something others find usefull. ;):)
Can i tell my boss, please please :D

yours looks alot better than mine.!!
What did you use to seal of the ends, and what are the black "tape"?

Joking...The black "tape" is a black shrinkable tube for cables. And the ends are sealed with moment glue.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT