• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

FLoatline

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Synapse

Jul 31, 2004
Quick question here...

Is "Floatline" a special type of line that has specific qualities over any other regular line that can be purchased from Wal-Mart??? No sense spending extra money if I don't need to.

-Syn

I found the type of line that comes as standard with inflatable bouys to be a pain in the bum, they tangle so easily. I made myself a PVC tube type floatline for very little money, just like the riffe lines but about 1/4 of the cost. Im very pleased with it, it never tangles, it floats so keeps out of my way and its stiff enough to not get wrapped up in my fins :)

Hey i made two of these types of line, first very cheap an simple.. i use it when im taking photos or just mooching around. I went to my local hardware store and brought 30m of PVC tube... about same thickness as my little finger i think. I then epoxied an eyelet in each end making it watertight and giving me somewhere to attach it, this is wound around an ole extension lead holder thing from a lawnmower. Works a treat and cost about £15 to make. The second was made exactly the same but with a length of 400lb mono passed through the center and loops crimped to each end this cost me about £30 and is good for spearing etc. Both float and never tangle. Hope that helps

Alot of people make their own floatlines but I think the best way to go is to by a Riffe float line. Its smooth so it dosent make noise when pulled across underwater obstructuions, It floats, Its strong, it doesnt tangle, It comes with two stainless swivel snaps to hook to the gun and bouy, and it comes ready to go with strong factory connections.

The better the gear the better the chance at landing that "one big fish"

Of course the good stuff costs a little extra, isnt it always like that?

Just my 2 pesos worth
GTB

Sorry CT missed that one all together :eek: This is how I made it:
Got a length of 1/4" pvc tubing from B&Q (hardware store) and some 3mm parachute cord the same length, 2 large swivels, some crimp things to fit over the tube, clear silicon sealer and some shrink wrap to fit the tube.
Got some kite string and tied a small plastic bead to it (to fit easily inside the tube) taped a vacuum cleaner to one end of the tube (well seald) and fed the bead/kite string through the tube (real easy). Tied end of the kite string to the parachute cord and pulled it through the tube, then tied 1 end of the cord to a swivel along with a couple of other knots about 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches down (for the crimps to grip). Then squeezed some silicone sealer in the end of the tube and a blob on the bottom end of the swivel and pulled it into the tube 1/2 way up its bloby middle making sure the tube was well sealed and when dry put the crimps between the 2 knots. Did the same at the other end but made sure that the tube was abit longer than the cord (so if it gets pulled it doesnt come apart) then securing the swivel at the other end of the tube pull the cord tight and push the tube down the cord then tie off the second swivel, silicon ETC lastly put the shrink wrap over the crimps heated so they shrunk shoved a small stainless carabiner on each end and went fishing

Hope that is understandable, Im not very good at explaining this sort of thing. The really cool thing about the float line is that it doesnt tangle at all and if it catches in your fins you dont get caught up.

Nice, forgot to mention i shrink wrapped all the unsigtly connections on mine.. didnt have to use the vacuum cleaner technique with the mono as it was stiff enough to 'push' through the tube.. although pushing 30m of mono into 30m of tube is no mean feat!
Good luck
Oh an p.s use clips and crimps designed for marine use.. anything else will rust and break faster than you think.
Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT