• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That helps a lot. It's making more sense, and it's obvious that a float is a valuable piece of equipment. I guess I'd better start thinking about assembling one.

Now, here's a question about float attachments. What kind of flag should a diver use? I notice that yours is yellow. Does that one work better than the red ones with a white stripe, or does it really matter?

The red/white is traditional but for maximum visibility by the pesky sailboarders, either international (hunter's) orange or bright yellow are easier to see. Whether that makes you safer or a better target is an entirely different problem.

:( True. I wouldn't want someone deciding that my flag is a fun obstacle and head toward it. Where, besides a local dive shop ($$$$$) can these flags be purchased? Any estimate on the total cost of building a float?

Almost anywhere in the world outside the good old US of A the flag meaning divers down keep clear is the International "A" flag (NATO #4) which is white and blue. This is the absolute worst colour combo for being seen. Commercial float markers are all orange or yellow, nuff said. The only other colour that's highly visible is strangely enough black. However black is not as visible as orange and yellow under low light conditions and rough seas although calm weather and bright sun sees black as best. I reckon you should go for an American divers flag and if it's yellow or orange so much the better. Help me out guys What's the American version of the A flag?
Will post you a pic of the "A" flag soon as.
Cost wise my float cost next to nothing. Dan floats are only £1 - £2 each max ($2 - $4) and plastic pipe a few pence (cents). Lead is mostly free except from church roofs where it costs 6 - 12 months down time for theft :D . Flags are sewn by my granny usually from vinyl as its better than cloth. Anyway "What is your life worth?".
Last point. I wonder if there's a world record for wind surfers? Boy I'd like to claim that one.
Dave

International "A" flag.= Divers in water.Warning Mariners to keep clear.methinks!

Good hunting

Old Dave
I'm sure you're right and that's the "exact" definition but I was trying to keep it simple as I was talking to the Americans.
Is the Southsea club "Southsea Bubbles" or is that too long ago?
Incidently we do catch a few fish here even if we use imported Italians. Nice one Fabio - stick it to them. :martial
Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT