• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

floats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andyt808

Aug 4, 2004
Hey does anyone know a good source to find cheap life gaurd style floats? Most of the places I looked the floats were all pretty expensive, I was just wondering where you guys got your floats from.

Thanks

We work hard to be able to pay our caprices!!!

Try to find an old bodyboard... they are awesome floats, and can store your stuff with out too much drag.

A boat fender does the job too, but unless you find one, they are pricey...

An empty plastic bottle of anything you enjoy to drink does the job nicely... get the neighbor laundry rope and you are in business!!!

Don't forget to get the flag on your float by drilling a piece of wood, glue the "mast" and fit it to the float with two plastic brasses (Alison have somewhere a nice DIY one!!!)

i hate to sound like a "malandro" but have you heard of ehem....err......stealing one....err....who said that?! ;) just kidding

other than that you might want to try a pawn shop. and 4get ebay because you pay the same as if you were to buy a new one in a shop.

To be honest, your going to be lucky to find a cheap lifeguard float anywhere but you may be lucky :) or even better someone will prove me wrong and come up with a source :D
This is one of my old floats below, pretty good in the water with a flag on top (orange would be better). It has two shaped wooden bits top and bottom held on with Jubilee clips the bottom piece has lead fixed to it. The jubilee clips are quite good too because the end bits give a hanndy place to store yore stringer whilst carrying the float etc (wont mention not catching fish :) ). given your position though I would really consider something like a Rob Allen or Riffe floats, they cost about the same as a lifeguard type and are made for the job :)

Well, if you are the type do-it-youself guy, Alison advise is great. Otherway you will have to spend some money....
What is your budget???
Regards,

rouspearo;)

Another option is to make one - I made one from high density foam - you can buy it from hardware stores. It is used for lining cavity walls - pale blue, dense and strong.

Anyway - I shaped a torpedo shape and drilled a hole in one end for rope. Wrapped tape around it and sprayed it fluorescent with a flag "diver down" flag on it.

Still, nearly got run over by windsurfers last night as they decided to use it as a race marker.... Need to put more spikes on it I think.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT