• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida free divers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Crystal River on January 26-27

scott, cjborgert:

Thanks for your suggestions. It would be great to meet you guys, especially since you are local and I am from the opposite corner of the country! I would appreciate a local guide!

I made my reservation at the http://www.porthotelandmarina.com/ for two nights, arriving 1/25.

If you decide to come and join me on that weekend, please email me directly at milanr@attglobal.net.

Scott, from your message I gather that you would bring a boat? That would be excellent. I am also game for any other springs on Sunday, as long as I can be back at the Orlando Int'l Airport by 4 PM.

Hope that you will be able to make it, we can have some fun. Looking forward to meet you.

-- MR

Jeff,

Thanks for the excellent resource - especially the map info. I was able to find a spring (Lime Spring) this past weekend with it that I had searched for twice before. Turned out to be on private property with lots of "Posted" signs so I wasn't able to dive it, but at least I found it.

I could have saved countless hours over the years searching for a myriad of springs if I had had these maps (come to think of it though, part of the fun was driving around in circles in the woods or on a river searching for some of the more obscure ones). Oh well, at least now I have a choice if I want to use the maps or not.

Also, welcome the the Deeper Blue forums - it has been a great source of info to me and I'm sure you will benefit from it.

Thanks again,

Scott

Last edited:
Florida (spring) Freedivers

I'm planning on a freediving day trip to some Florida springs next Saturday, March 2 if anyone is interested.

Still trying to decide between: 1). Devil's Den/Manatee Springs/Catfish Hole; 2). Ginnie Springs/Rock Bluff Springs; 3). Hospital Hole/Joe's Sink/Rainbow River or 4). Troy Springs/Peacock Springs/Cow Springs.

If you are interested, please e-mail me at scottlnelson@hotmail.com and we can discuss the details.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. CJBorgert (or anyone else), what do you know about Devil's Sink east of Gainesville (near Hawthorne)?

Jeff,

Thanks for the info on Devil's Sink - I was also going to use DeLoach's book as my guide, but apparently that may not be a good idea. If you can get some additional directions, that would be great.

I do not have a GPS receiver.

I have never looked for Messant Spring (supposedly on private property) but I'm game if you are.

May end up starting next Saturday at Blue Springs (Volusia) and then heading out from there. Let me know if you are interested.

Scott

freediving trip

I might be interested, Scott. Are any of those springs good for a beginner? I know some movies have been made at Ginnie Springs, so I sort of always wanted to see that one, but not sure. And I understand if you just want someone more experienced to go with you, that's fine.

No problem!

Freediverdude,

Beginners are fine and the Springs are a great place to start (great visibility, no sharks). I'll e-mail you once I figure out what springs we will be going to - most of the ones I mentioned are good for beginners (some of the sinks are not that great except for their depth). Note that I am not a whole lot beyond a beginner myself (relative to most on these forums).

I'll be in touch.

Scott

Jeff,

I have not used a line or bouy in the sinks (although sounds like a great safety idea). I usually just take it very slow and familiarize myself with the area and usually don't push myself. Many of the sinks (Warm Mineral Springs, for example) have plenty of surface light, so heading up is easy (it's the going down that's scary).

I agree that Devil's Den is kind of deceiving. I probably would not make the safety photos on this forum with my dives there, but, again, I take it slow and don't push my limits. You mentioned that you use a reference line there, is that just in general or are there specific markers that you have identified (or have set up)?

Scott

Jeff,

I much prefer the "devil" springs over the main Ginnie Springs. CJBorgert and I had a great time freediving Devil's Eye (see photo under his "Sign, sign..." thread). Even though you are in the cavern, you can still get fun depths. I've always preferred going vertical over horizontal (less work - and safer in an overhead environment). The main spring, to me, is simply a dynamic apnea swim with a solid limestone surface overhead.

I'm starting to get psyched now for next Saturday. Could actually hit all of the Devil's in one day (Den, Springs and Sink) if you left early and stayed late (with some barbecue at the end of the day). Hopefully, you're tempted.

Scott

Ok guys, now I'm really PO'd about where I live. It's -10C, snowing like crazy here, and you guys are talking about diving in crystal clear water this weekend!:waterwork
That's it, I'm moving.
Cheers, and think about me this weekend when you're in that cave, ok:) !
Erik Y.:(

I'm going to be moving there in early-mid 2005. I am anxious to hear all baout the great diving areas. Have been to alexander springs once for a video project and really enjoyed it! Heard the springs are even better in the winter...thanks and I look forward to hearing more about the beautiful blue waters of florida

Tina

I was attempting to look at your yahoo groups page and this is what came up.

This area contains material of a mature and adult nature the may not be suitable for younger users. You must be over the age of 18 to access this area of Yahoo! Groups.

aaalright!!! :)

Anyway looked at pics on your home page and can see you've got your breathhold down. Welcome to DB and to FL

LOL, yes. the person who created the club for me actually set it up where her other one was. in the adult section of romance and relationships. there is nothing there that is inappropriate, but I can't relocate the club to another section as far as I know. If there is a way, I would be happy to do it...lol might make for less explaining.

I'm soon to be a florida resident and I am very excited about it. been wanting to move there for a LONG time...lol

Thanks for the kind welcome and thanks for checking out the club and my website. Yes, i've had to hold my breath a time or two...lol

take care,

Tina

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
I was interested in diving warm mineral springs and called them. They told me they did not allow freediving. Have they ever said anything to you? Maybe the girl I talked didnt know what freediving is. I should have asked if I could snorkel. Anyway, How deep is it there. I looked at their website but it looks like the deep stuff is roped off. I don't think these places should be able to be privately owned.

If Warm Mineral has prohibited freediving, that is new. I go there every now and then to train. Scuba is and has been prohibited and the person you talked to may have gotten confused. If freediving is still allowed, the deep is available. the rope line is not a barrier to entry. Fair warning, the vis conditions leave a lot to be desired.

If you want to get together, pm me.

Connor

Wow. this thread went quiet for a while. 8 years between posts 52 and 53. That's one heck of an archive.

Sandow,

Sorry for the delayed response - I never asked for permission at Warm Mineral Springs. Just showed up with snorkeling/freediving gear and jumped in - lifeguard never seemed to care or even pay much attention (maybe a casual conversation a time or two)...

If you find out any different, please let us know.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott,

My wife went there with a couple friends and asked someone there and they said freediving is no problem as long as long fins are not used. So there are conflicting answers. I plan on going there on March 24 as soon as they open to "test the waters" on many levels. I plan on meeting Connor their. Another buddy would be great if you can make it. If not I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

Hey Scott,

My wife went there with a couple friends and asked someone there and they said freediving is no problem as long as long fins are not used. So there are conflicting answers. I plan on going there on March 24 as soon as they open to "test the waters" on many levels. I plan on meeting Connor their. Another buddy would be great if you can make it. If not I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

Well, then short fins, wide fins, a monofin, or NO fins ;)
But maybe if they get used to you, and they begin to trust you, you can ask why long fins are not allowed?

Shoot some film :)

I always just carried my fins in with all of my other stuff (towels, chairs, etc.) and just paid and entered...size of fins, purpose of visit, etc. never discussed...

No wetsuit needed, so you just look like any other swimmer (albeit much younger than the ~70+ average age of visitor). If you walk around the circular-shaped shallow water that surrounds the hole, make sure you walk in the correct direction. You will get in much more trouble for going against the "flow of traffic" than having long fins (IMHO).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT