• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fluid goggles: are they any good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

3xpr1ment

Sep 1, 2010
Hi all

First of all: the summer is here for good :p(in Europe at least). I wish good dives, safe dives, and a lot of fun to everyone.

Does anyone here tried fluid goggles? are they any good for recreational purposes. I mean is the vision any accurate?
I can´t equalize hands free and my favorite way of diving is CNF (actually no weights no fins) so you can see the point here: I need my hands for propulsion, so i need a noseclip for equalization, so I can´t equalize the normal mask.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I´m probably an old newbie here... I had a pair of fluid googles several years ago and now I have made my own...
If you mean recreational freediving with the intention of "seeing" the jewels of the sea, a fluid googles are not for you. They are intended to have a reference below and above the surface in training/competition without worrying about equalization. And I´m in doubt if wearing the goggles during 2 hours of training will be good for my eye vision.
It seems to be anyhow two or three different models and probably I´m missing a good point here but the classic goggles filled with saline solution are in the opposite corner with a scuba mask in terms of the vision quality I think you might expect.

Thank you Buddha for your reply. Yes, that's what I meant, watching fishes the landscape etc. I suppose is not the way to go then. :(

If you wanna write in Spanish, you can send me a private message.

Thanks mermaidgirl for the suggestion. I can´t see what is the difference with normal swimming goggles though. Wont they try to penetrate my eye cavity with pressure?

I don't know why but they are different than regular goggles. You could email Wolfgang ( the guy who sells them) and ask more questions.
It is fun for looking at reef fish etc.:)

Mermaid girl,

Which version did you buy?

Jon

Try it with a mask and just time the equalization's. I managed 40m cnf like that and got quite used to it. Here is an earlier 37M cnf dive with mask. I agree that fluid goggles are the way to go to get deeper, but don't let that stop you training in the mean while.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv9FfivjXm4]‪37M peso constante sin aletas (CNF) - ex Record Nacional - Vertical Blue 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I am not sure I get it.
I don´t even go that deep, 30m is fine for me. The problem is that i have to stop propulsion to pinch my nose, in this video you do hands free equalization something i can not do.

haha, I WISH is could do hands free. I can't.

Try having a good low volume mask on, quite tight, then pre-equalize the mask and ears just before you dive. In my case that gets me to about 7m before the first EQ, at his point I have done the hard work and a quick nose squeeze is easy to fit in. Your case may be way different, maybe even only 2m. Correct weighting goes a long way. In this dive I only took about 3/4 lung full because I knew hypoxia was not my problem, although looking at it again now, I look a little heavy.

Go slow and try it, it may work for you.

Last edited:
Sorry got to edit this.
So, you pre-equalize mask AND ears so afterwards you just fit a pinch while diving. I have never tried pre-equalizing, and its a really useful of information. Thank you I will try this way. It seems the less complicated

Last edited:
I pinch my nose. Not too often. You can't quite see it on the video, you are right.

Trust me, just give it a try, with good supervision. It may work for you or it may not. Lots of spearing has given me quite forgiving ears, like I say, I really don't need to equalize before 5 to 7m.

EDIT> YES, you should always pre-equalize on depth IMHO, all the time, even spearing.

Last edited:
+1 for pre-equalising :) there's no reason not to and makes those first few crucial meters easier.

Also, although it doesn't come naturally to most of us it is possible to learn hands free equalisation IMHO. It takes a while but it's really worth it. There are some older threads where I posted (and others) some detailed descriptions on how to get it. It does take some time though, partly to get the technique right and partly to strengthen the right muscles...

Also there are other more unconventional setups you could try eg a 'pipe mask' or I have even heard of people trying to wear a small lossy noseclip under the mask, no idea if it works or not.

Dear friend,

I can understand fully what you want. Here it goes:

Fluid goggles: Have tried them. They are NOT for recreational freediving. Its only for competitive freediving and trainning for this. Forget them unless you intent to participate in a competition and dive really deep.

Wooden goggles: Please read this thread http://forums.deeperblue.com/general-freediving/89651-max-safe-depth-goggles.html . Lots of info. They are great for swallow dives upto -10meters. You can go deeper if you want at your own risk as every body reacts differently than the others.

Masks with no nose pocket: You have to try the Aqua Sphere Seal model. Its a sphera mask with no nose pocket. With this you will be able to dive at 15-20 meters with a noseclip but you have to keep the mask really loose on the surface. Vision is not clear because of the plastic curved lenses. Then you have to try the Cressi Galileo goggles with a noseclip. The only goggles on the market with flat glass lenses. Vision is perfect like a mask. You can dive down to -12m. I will soon try the Cressi Cobra goggles be seems similar to the Seal. With these models you can safely dive to -10m with a noseclip. Thereafter at your own risk as it is just a matter of eyes tolerance upto a point. There after there is no case of tolerance but eyes will crushed.

Pipe mask. Have made a Seal goggle in pipe mask. It works but it is really complicated in practice. Spending time with this on a rope might be the solution for dives to say -30m as you wish with a nose clip. Its a matter of practice practice practice practice..

Mask and noseclip: Take a swimming pool noseclip (this tiny one), make it smaller with a pinser and bring it at your nose dimensions (the target is to make it as smaller as possible). If you press with the pinser the noseclip nose bridge area will shut your nose completely when you wear it. You need to make it shut your nose at about 90%. Then take a Sphera mask. Put the noseclip on. Put the mask on over the noseclip. Sphera mask has a big nose pocket (at least for me) and very soft silicone. With this set up you can equalize you ears hands free and if you blow little harder mask will equalized too. Sphere need a very little equalization so you might go to 25m with not even equalize her once.

I have done them all. I personally dont like the feeling of the mask on my face (you loose on the dive response and also fresh water on the face is very refreshing ) so I was looking for different set up.

For snorkeling I prefer two set ups: the Galileo/nose clip and the wooden goggles/noseclip. They are just perfect for me.

For deeper the Seal/noseclip mode.

For more deeper the Sphera with the little noseclip is the way to go if you cannot BTV equalization OR just a noseclip and go.

I am struggling my brain to swap on different solutions as I feel that we are very old on the mask/noseclip concept. I feel that there is huge space for improvement and different set ups on this matter. New technologies and equipment will be born by us, the freedivers, and not by any other as we only know better what we need than others. Struggle your mind. Answers for hands free equalization and clear vision underwater might be simplier than imagine.

I am sure that in the future new "advanced" equipment will come up.

Do you reckon a small noseclip that only blocks one nostril could generate enough pressure to EQ when clearing the mask? Would probably lose too much air..

I recon it would be very hard to get to work consistently enough.

I just tried blocking one of my nostrils and equalising, it's possible but you need A LOT of air Simon :-(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT