• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fluid Goggles Available!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Fluid goggles......those thigs sound sooo cool....I would like to ask few questions...
When haveing them on do you need to blink??? I just though that you might be able to keep your eyes "open" for.......ok
What happens when you dine in cold conditions, does your eyes keep the fluid nice and warm or does your eyeballs "freeze"
how important it is to have the goggles filled with fluid..I mean what happens if there is a tiny bubbles of air, does that matter?
Are they hard to put on? i mean goggles filled with salt liquid...

Thanks

i also have a question...

wouldnt the salt water burn the eyes? like on the Liquivision Stereo, wouldnt the salt water burn the eyes? if i got those (if i could save up the money) i would always fill them with salt water, from the ocean.

and also would the googles work with fresh water, ie lakes and springs, and rivers?

Goggle Questions & Answers

Answers to questions:

1. Do you have to blink when wearing fluid goggles?
- Answer: if you use 'saline' contact lens solution, no, you never have to blink, although I recommend that you blink once in a while

2. Does seawater hurt the eyes?
Answer: It depends which ocean you dive in. Near where I live the water is not salty at all, and it doesn't hurt much, but it isn't very comfortable. In the mediterranean it burns a lot (more salt). Also, you will feel the need to blink when using seawater.
You cannot and should not use seawater if you use regular contact lenses. They will get infected permanantly.

3. Cold water: Do your eyes freeze?
Answer: It depends which kind of goggle you use. The nirvana goggles have thermal insulation, so you can use them in cold water (8C), but even then your eyes still get very cold. With the stereo or hybrid/cyclops goggles, there is no thermal insulation, so your eyes can get so cold that you must either keep them closed or take the goggles off. However, the cold eyes has a major advantage: HUGE diving reflex. The eyes are the main receptor to initiate the diving reflex, and a mask prevents them from touching the water (so people take off their mask for 'facial immersion.') But with the goggles you get CONSTANT facial immersion, and I notice a much stronger diving reflex when diving with fluid goggles in cold water. Drawback: Cold eyes also cool your head, and increase CO2 narcosis at great depths.

4. Do the goggles work in fresh water?
Answer: Yes, but if you fill the goggles with the fresh water it will hurt like crazy, and again your contact lenses would get infected if you wear them and fill the goggles with fresh water.

5. Tiny bubbles of air: What happens?
Answer: Not much. If you fill the goggles 95%+ full of liquid, the air bubbles (if any) will get squashed when the goggle gently presses against your face. If you leave 20% or more of the goggle empty with air, you will get a 'goggle squeeze' if you continue to descend. Usually the squeeze will eventually stop when all the air is 'squashed', but it depends how much air was in the goggle to start off with.

6. Hard to put on?
The goggles come with a special 'tip' to put onto a contact lens solution bottle that allows you to fill the goggles easily. You put the goggles on empty, then you slip the 'tip' under the upper part of the gasket and squeeze the bottle, filling up the goggles. It does take a little practice to get it 100% full, but once you get it, it's easy. Filling them up with sea or lake water is very easy, just put your face in the water, and pull the goggles away from your face.

I always use saline in my goggles, but Yasemin and David always use seawater. Some people like Andy LeSauce bought goggles with the intention of using seawater, but then found it hurt too much!

More questions?

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric, what kind of fluid goggle is available for 75 USD? I couldn't find it on the website.

$75?

If you have flat faced goggles with silicon gaskets, you can buy a single underwater lens for $75 and glue it yourself--voila, simple fluid goggles. However, it is not always that easy. I only recommend doing that if you are good with adhesives and understand how the lens must be placed and so on.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

"...4. Do the goggles work in fresh water?
Answer: Yes, but if you fill the goggles with the fresh water it will hurt like crazy, and again your contact lenses would get infected if you wear them and fill the goggles with fresh water. ...."

hi Eric and others,

I'm surprised you said it hurts in cold water. I've never felt any discomfort when diving in pure fresh water with flooded swimming goggles - interesting. I just use the water I'm diving in to flood them - down to 7oC so far with no problems. The trick is to put them on, and keep your eyes closed for a couple of minutes - that gives the water inside a chance to warm up just a little. Then you can open your eyes. it can feel a little weird for a few seconds, just wait for it to pass... then you're ready to dive

alun
UK

contacts

Erik-
Did you ever experiment with contact lenses that were the proper diopter that would allow you to see through the saline/goggle lens combination, thus enabling one to use any goggle?
Jim

Contacts

What you are describing is 'scleral contact lenses' which have been around since the 1980's.

The problems with scleral contact lenses are many, and that is why I invented the fluid goggles, to replace the scleral contact lenses.

Scleral lenses come in two types: hard and soft. Both are huge and extremely difficult to take on and off (it takes two people to do it). Both are extremely expensive (soft=$300-500, hard=$1000+ custom made). The soft lenses have a big 'knob' in front of your eye to focus the light, and the knob is easily disloged, and once disloged you can't see, such as happened to Herbert Nitsch during his 72m freshwater record. The hard lenses are extremely uncomfortable, non-permeable, bad for your eyes and lead to 'dry eyes' for days afterwards.

The goggles, on the other hand, are comfortable (if used with saline), easy to take on and off, cheaper, and not bad for your eyes (if used with saline).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric, what else are you inventing right now (that you can talk about).
Cheers,
other Erik

Champion

HI,

The goggles are discussed in this following note sampled from another source, FDL.

Hello,

I've used these goggles quite a lot. And they definitely are of some great help. I've used them for several world records in freediving that I did and these are to the depths that you definitely need fluid goggles. The other option is the contact lenses but I haven't tried them yet as I hear that they are both fragile and also easy to loose. I've been using the oldest
model of these goggles and since then they have improved tremendously. It might be hard to judge the distance clearly at the beginning but once you make the right adjustment to your eyes and get used to them you can see your computer and for sure comfortably follow the line. I never had any problem
with that, neither did I have a problem grabbing the tag at the bottom for example.

Best regards

Yasemin Dalkilic
Turkey
www.YaseminDalkilic.com

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT